In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? about putting guns on gunbroker.com

sprinklerfitter00sprinklerfitter00 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
hello everyone i am new to gunboker and was wondering how safe it was to sell here, (such as making sure you get your money, or the gun is what it is suppose to be.) if someone could tell me? thank you

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is an honest and safe place to do business. I have bought and sold many items on the Auction Site. I have items listed now. I have purchased items within the last week. Never had a single problem.
  • Options
    shellitoutshellitout Member Posts: 345 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best on the web. My opinion. One thing to make sure of, if you buy from someone on gunbroker, is to look at their feedback. VERY IMPORTANT, and don't just look, read what the buyer left as their feedback. Also, see how many guns they have sold or bought. Most likely, if someone that has only 1 or 2 purchases leaves a negative to the seller. Chances are he was a deadbeat bidder and was trying to get out of purchasing the gun.[:D]
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have learned that it is essential to ask lots of questions. The sellers will not always mention such things as aftermarket holes in the receiver that are on the side not shown in the photo. Also, I have had several guns damaged in shipment. They must be packed well and insured.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question to you, How could a business like this last over 6 years if it were not a GOOD place to do business?????
  • Options
    shellitoutshellitout Member Posts: 345 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of a harsh reply for someone just getting started at GunBroker and just asking an honest question, don't you think duckhunter? [:D]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some caution is required for all transactions; I have been cheated by people in face-to-face dealings, so I tend to be careful & follow my own simple guidelines.

When selling, obviously you don't send the gun until you have the money in hand. But, never sell outside of the US (there is a current scam involving bogus foreign bankchecks). And, USPS money orders are probably the safest.

When buying, you need to be more careful. Avoid those with more than 1 or 2 bad feedbacks. Be sure that you have asked questions about anything not completely described. Insist on a return period of at least 3 days. The buyer should agree to refund shipping both ways if the item is not as described. Never bid if an item is sold "as is" or "no returns". Don't send money to a PO box. Verify the sellers address & phone # on an online phone directory, such as anywho.com.

Neal

"Trust, but verify." --- Ronald Reagan
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes ,
    safe and great , we really like it here on G.B. , I have been in the gun business for over 26 years and this is the best yet ..........
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't worry about Duckhunter, he's gets a little crusty at times, if I answered as many questions as he has, I'd tend to keep them short also!
  • Options
    bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    nmyers
    when one of my P.O. box customer's receives mail with their street address, and not their P.O. box number, that mail get's sent back Now. Only two reasons this happen's 1) customer is trying to run a scam. 2)Mailer is to stupid to use a correct address!
    Please don't punish someone for useing their correct address.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    A little naive are we? There are no guarantees in life. You pays your monies and you takes your chances.
    "Let the buyer beware" is heard everywhere money exchanges hands. This is no different.

Most transactions are above board and trouble free. You best protection is honesty. You can't cheat an honest man. Pay attention to what you're doing and you will be fine, just remember, if you take responsibility for your good deals, you also take responsibility for your bad ones.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had any trouble as a seller, but I have stopped bidding on any auctions on GB or any of the other gun auction sites. For several years I had no problems as a buyer but in the last year very few sellers seem to be totally on the up and up. The big problem seems to be an increasing tendency to not give an honest description of the condition of the gun. I'm sick and tired of receiving a gun and finding something broken, replaced parts, wood that does not fit, etc.
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    I really appreciate this post. I've purchased a few things on GB, but now find that my financial situation requires that I dispose of the many of my treausres. I've tried the gun show route and not had a great deal of success. I was thinking about one of the big auction houses (Rock Island), but really wasn't too comfortable with that either. Based on what you folks have said, I guess, I'll be putting up some things soon. Thanks -- Steve