In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bulge in shotgun barrel.

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I use the word "bulge" for lack of a better word, to describe what I've found in a bolt action Mossberg I recently bought on a GB auction. It was sold "as is" with two other bolt action shotguns.
One of them is really cool, a tube feed .410, that I want to service and clean up. I've never seen one, but I digress.
The mossberg has a bulge in the barrel and I've never seen anything like this before.
I don't know if it might cause a problem or what may have caused it.
I do not see any scaring on the inside of the barrel.
I'm just wondering what I should do with it.
Trash it?
I don't know if I could buy a replacement barrel, or if it would be worth it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
DSM

Comments

• Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    The gun was probably fired with an obstruction such as snow or mud in the barrel. Have a gunsmith look at it.I had one cut off that was at the end of the barrel on an old shotgun that was my grandparent.
  • Options
    makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The seller should have disclosed the 'bulge' in the barrel, regardless of whether the auction sale was 'as is' or not. Sounds pretty dishonest to me. Hopefully, it is far enough down the barrel that you can cut it off (as the previous poster mentioned), and still have a good shooter (and a legal overall barrel length of at least 18 inches).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got caught up in the "bidding fever" and paid to much money. I guess I can stick it back in the corner and keep my eye out for another with a split stock.
    I guess, since no one said other, that the barrel can not be removed.
    I can still hold out hope that the other two will be sound.
    One was a .410, tube feed, JC Higgins. It needs some help, but I think it looks nice.
    The other was a Stevens 12 ga. that seems to just need a good cleaning and the stock sanded and refinished.
    DSM
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Which model Mossberg bolt shotgun. I have 2 or 3 parted out that have decent barrels. Send me an email if interested.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Model 395KB-12GA-C-LECT-CHOKE
    2 3/4 AND 3 INCH SHELLS.

But I guess any 12 gauge barrel will do.
    Do you have to change out the whole thing or can a gunsmith remove the barrel?
    I am interested in getting it fixed, but I don't know what would need to be done or needed by the gunsmith.
    DSM
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    all the mossberg shotgun barrels I've seen are 'screw in' so they can be changed and yes you probaly could fit almost any barrel to this but the machining would cost more than the gun is worth (the only barrel that will 'bolt-up' is another mossberg barrel of the same type). also if the 'bulge' isn't too bad it may be possible to 'iron' it out.
  • Options
    John ZoellickJohn Zoellick Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.havlinsales.com/default.htm
    Havlins is agood source for Mossberg parts and info.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Most times the bulge will be at the very end of the muzzle. From what I can determine, you have to look closely to detect the imperfection.

From past experience I'd caution that the tube be inspected with the intention of assuring there are no cracks in the tube wall. Past that, it's not going to hurt much at all. The Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoons with the gun barrel peeled back is fiction.

Monitor it closely for a few rounds and make sure the bulge doesn't enlarge. Past that I wouldn't be too concerned. Obviously you can cut the tube, but why bother if it's not needed?
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    You can look here for a new barrel, Numrichs. Found the model 395, 395K, 395KA, and 395S. Didn't see one for the 395KB but you can look at the others and see if one will work for you. They want around $45-50 for a barrel for this model. Hope this helps.
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=170

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the comments and advise.
    DSM