In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK mags for SKS

barbqbaronbarbqbaron Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi y'all.
I heard from a coworker that you can purchase a kit to convert an SKS rifle to accept AK mags. Can anyone verify this. If so, does anyone know who sells them. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A number of companies make replacement hi-cap magazines for the SKS. No kit is required. The original magazine is removed from the SKS and replaced with a aftermarket hi-cap. Unfortunately all that I tried were unreliable, i.e. either they would only feed with a certain number of cartridges loaded in the magazine, or jam/misfeed continuously.

Save your money, stick to the original 10 round SKS magazine. It can be reloaded surprisingly quickly with the 10 round stripper clip.
  • Options
    fishingdude7fishingdude7 Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree with the previous post, stick with the 10 rd mag. Ive got a yugo sks and tried a aftermarket 30 rd mag and I couldnt even get the thing to fit in there properly, plus the bolt wont stay open for you to load the mag due to the way its made. just get some stripper clips and they can load just as fast if not faster.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello, to my knowledge there are no such kits. about 15 years ago there were kits that had ak-like mags but i dont think there was ever ones that had actual ak mags. keep it original, modifications never work properly.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certainly don't go with the 'conversion' route, it is nothing but a headache.
    I have several SKS types and swap out 30 round mags with little trouble. I DID GO THROUGH MANY TO GET A FEW THAT WORKED WELL.

If you really want a 'bananna mag', get a steel 30 round mag and return it if you have problems. When/if you find a good one, just leave it installed and charge it with strippers....that is the best bet for reliable operation, other than leaving it as original.
    ENJOY
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey barbqbaron, welcome to the forum!

The following is a link to a great site on the SKS.

http://www.simonov.net/

When you get to the homepage, scroll down a little and click on the link to "Site Map".

On the site map, near the top of the list, is a link to "hitech mags". Click on that and read the entire page. You will begin to be enlightened on SKS magazine options![^]
  • Options
    bigcountry_75214bigcountry_75214 Member Posts: 494
    edited November -1
    Hello, You can also do a search of topics and find close to 140 replies to this question. It is asked about every ten days. I believe SupremeOne is in the midst of doing a conversion. He is supposed to keep us up-dated. Good luck and take care.
  • Options
    barbqbaronbarbqbaron Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for your input.