In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

custom .308 mauser 1909 what's it worth ( photos)

seth0941seth0941 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I HAVE A FULL CUSTOM MAUSER 1909 ARGENTINO. I JUST GOT THIS GUN AND I AM LOOKING FOR THE value. IT NOW SHOOTS .308 ROUNDS. it has a hand made stock and a full floating barrel.

OH YA, I LIVE IN OLYMPIA WA. EMAIL ME AT SETH0941@WMCONNECT FOR BETTER PICS. LIKE I SAID I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT I JUST GOT IT!

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    What a shame someone cut up an Argi. They are the finest fit and finish military Mausers ever made.
    I have no clue what your weapon is worth now, but the Argi's just keep going up and up.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding is that if the rifle was made by a noteable gunsmith it is worth quite a lot more then if it was made by an unknown. A real high end custom rifle will have many features besides the free floated stock that I can't tell if your rifle has with just the pics. A very telling feature would be the checkering. If it had really high grade, expensive checkering then it likely that the whole rifle was built to that standard. Major riflesmiths usually keep records on all their sales and if it had been built by one of them you could find out all what went into it. If you pull the barreled action and look on the bottom of the barrel you might find the makers name or at least what brand of barrel it is. In many cases the value is what ever you can get someone to pay for it.
  • Options
    seth0941seth0941 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI, YESS THIS GUN HAS A FLOATING BARREL I WILL LOOK TO SEE SOME SORT OF NAME ON IT. I CAN YELL YOU THAT THIS IS ONE SHARP SHOOTING GUN!IT WILL BLOW THE 1" DOT OUT OF A TARGET AT 200 YD WITH OUT AN ISSUE! YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT SETH0941@WMCONNECT.COM AND ASK FOR BETTER PICS AND I CAN GIVE YOU MY PHONE NUMBER FOR A GOOD DETAILED DESCRIPTION.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seth0941,

Generally speaking, as posted above the Argentino's are about the best fit and finish of any military Mauser. That was the reason so many of them were cut up or converted to 30-06. What you have appears to be a rifle customized for competition. It has lost any value that an Argentino 1909 would have as a collector.

However, since your rifle shoots well and to me seems to be customized specifically for competition the value here would be:

1)If it was made by a regionally or nationally prominent gunsmith. Especially if that was his specific expertise. Some guys do pistols well, some carve stocks and some do fantastic accuracy with rifles. Where I'm from if you had something built by Wes Ugalde or Skip Talbot you had a piece that you knew was right. If you went to sell it you could legitimately say what work was done by whom and that you were (fairly) asking more because of it. But, most people don't know them and that wouldn't make a difference to someone back East
    2)How well the rifle could perform with a good shooter(this could include you)in a public forum such as a competition. If three or four people shot it that you knew were good and that word of mouth got out it would increase the value.

The bottom line is if the rifle had a good reputation you could sell it for as much possibly as 1000.00 or higher. If you put it up for sale here on Gunbroker, I think people would see it was quality, but may only bring around $500.00-600.00. I have seen custom Mausers go on sale here for close to a couple grand and never get a bite. The big seller in that dept. is ornate finish work on the outside. I have seen some really nice engraved rifles get sold in the $2000.00 mark, but that is mostly because people can see the work. That's my dollars worth of opinion here. -Good luck
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 1909 Argentine Mausers made good candiates for sproters because they had a hinged floorplate with an easy release. A lot of the .30 caliber rifles were rechambered to .308 either by the Argentine govt. in the '50s or by lots of different gunsmiths before that. Unless its made by some famous gunmaker, its gun another sporterized mauser that would only be worth $400-$500 even if its in a great piece of walnut. It's still an excellent rifle and probably better made than your average Win. mod. 70 or Rem. 700.