In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 38 s&w

Will on kauaiWill on kauai Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can someone tell me if you can use 38 specail heads to reload 38 s&w the numbers head size arent the same but close ? Or could I use 9mm heads instead those numbers are closer[:)]

Comments

• Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Head=? Bullet? Case diameter?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to buy a reloading manual; stay within recommendations for ALL components!

Neal

"'Close' only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades."
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will- the 38 Special and 38 S&W are not the same size- do not try to mix components. The bullets AND the cartridge cases are different in diameter- enough to matter. Same for 9mm. Changing ANY part of the recipe- case, primer, powder, bullet- will make changes in pressure- sometimes a small change is a LARGE change. If you are on Kuai, and do not have a local gun shop, get in touch w/ Mel Chung over on Molokai- good gunsmith, good guy. Pau.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The .38 special uses a .358" cast bullet. The .38 Smith uses a .361 heeled bullet. Hard to find. I use regular .38 special bullets, no problem.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    38 S&W brass can be optained from most reloading supply houses such as Midway.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, be careful, how old is the gun your reloading for? Some of those old .38s&w's weren't designed for use with modern smokeless powder. You will find alot of old like Iver Johnson type revolvers out there that were made in the 1890's and early 1900's for blackpowder cartridges (A modern type cartridge with blackpowder as propelant instead of smokeless). Which is way different that smokeless powder. If anything you may actually put the gun in a vise, and use the old string around the trigger technique. I've done this a few times myself on some questionable pieces.