In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cast bullets dangers

JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
How much danger is there melting lead for casting bullets? Is a simple fan all that is needed to keep the fumes safe?

Comments

• Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow there are many dangers, from the fumes, spilling the melted lead, all the toxic "other" stuff in the lead, the list goes on and on.

Being that said, We used to melt it down on a coleman stove in a cast iron pot, and cast our own bullets. We did this outside, and were careful not to spill the lead. I would not suggest doing it inside, unless you have lots of ventilation.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    If you're working in a fairly large, well ventilated room, a simple fan over the melting pot venting to the outside should be adequate.

If you do a lot of melting and casting, you might want to consider installing a vent hood, such as is common over kitchen stoves & ovens over your melting & casting area. They aren't all that expensive and can be bought at most home centers, appliance stores and many hardware stores.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    guy I know that makes his living by doing custon cast bullets , does it in his basement , with just a simple fan vented out doors, he gets checked every year for lead poisoning and so far has had NO problems ,
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And keep ALL water (sweat, drops from pipes, etc.) away from the Molten lead.

Molten lead and water DO NOT MIX!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What iceracerx posted is the real danger.I have specs of lead in the rafters of my workshop from dropping a used lead bullet with a little mud on it into molten lead.Always wear a protective face sheild,welding gloves and a heavy apron.I use a denim apron but leather would be better.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,393 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:iceracerx Posted
    And keep ALL water (sweat, drops from pipes, etc.) away from the Molten lead.

Molten lead and water DO NOT MIX!

This is very true. My 90 year old neighbor lost his left eye during World War two from a drop of water falling into a pot of babbit. The stuff just explodes in every direction.
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen one guy that has had the lead affect his brain; he was pretty nuts. Be very careful about the ventilation. If at all possible, I'd suggest doing this outdoors (covered back porch?) or in a well ventilated shed that this separate from the house.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have casted literally TONS of lead pistol and rifle bullets. All casting was done inside, in the basement of my home. A vent hood consisting of dryer duct made out of Aluminium and a computer fan ws all I ever used. I have been tested for lead with no problems at all.

When getting the lead ready to cast, I did all my cleaning fluxing and ingot making outside on a concrete garage apron. That is where the dirt and smoke comes from. It did not matter if the lead came from ranges or wheel weights and Linotype, it got melted and alloyed outside first. That way all the junk got burned off, dirt was removed and the ingot left over was ready to store and use for casting anytime.

I have three basic alloys for shooting. a soft alloy with a few pounds of linotype and wheel weights added to lead in the 50 pound alloy pot. Im looking for a bullet that can take about 800 FPS without leading, it is easy to scratch with a thumb nail.

Next is a hard alloy for HOT .38's and mid range .357's

The third alloy is hard as I can get it from a 50/50 mixture of linotye and wheel weights. It is for gas checked .357's, hot .44 mags. and rifle bullets up to 2,000 FPS.

For starting get a LEE bottom pour pot. I used one for years and wore it out after about 100,000 bullets. Lee molds are easier to learn with and more forgiving to casting errors than the iron molds are. Iron molds are better in the long run but you have to cast a lot of bullets to see the difference IMO. I have a pyrometer and cast at about 715 degrees for best results.

the biggest danger is the above mentioned liquid hitting the molten lead. A few drops of water will create a steam explosion that can cause severe burns.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a wonderful source of information on bullet casting. I highly recommend getting one and reading it cover to cover.

Best of luck!!!!!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I do it in the basement right under an open window, half open; it acts like a chimney flu if there is any breeze outside at all. Otherwise I turn on a fan. I've never been tested but I'm not (blbggogoaherecomeselvis!) nuts. No sir.

Water and lead don't mix, but the worst is if you have any water or moisture on your casting ladle, as you immerse it in the lead. Even just ambient moisture from the air. Make sure to dip just the corner of the ladle just barely in the lead until you see the moisture dissipate.

The leftover * is highly toxic. I keep mine in an old iron pot and dump it when full, and keep a lid on it until full. Careful not to breathe the dust when emptying!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do any casting *far* from your loading bench. A primer introduced to the mix is even worse than water.

Wash carefully when you are done. Don't eat or smoke while you are working.

But if you take basic, sensible precautions, casting bullets is no big deal; I've produced untold tens of thousands over the years. It all comes down to common sense and good industrial hygiene. Get the Lyman manual (the NRA manual is an excellent second choice), read the cautionary material and follow directions . . . you will be fine.