In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 auto advice

Sidewinder315Sidewinder315 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I need some input on a good auto loading .45 After two bouts with 1911 platform guns, that would only feed hard ball ammo (some times) I am wanting to go a different direction. I was thinking about a Glock 21, but most recently I have been hearing all these horror stories of KB! events in the Glock line, going BOOM! instead of BANG. At any rate here is what I am looking for:
A auto loading .45 that will feed and shoot any ammo I load into it.
One that won't blow up in my hand if a hot round slips by.
One that will hit where it is aimed.
One that won't cost my my first born.
I must admit, I am fairly new to the pistol world so any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Check out the new Springfield XD in .45acp. I bought one last week and it's incredible. It's also featured on the covers with related articles in this month's Guns & Ammo, American Rifleman, Combat Handguns and other magazines. It holds 14 rounds (13 in the mag & 1 in the chamber)and hits where you aim it. I've had the same gun in 9mm for a while and love it. The XD-45 is my new carry gun!
    SprXD45ACP.jpeg
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Check out the new Springfield XD in .45acp. I bought one last week and it's incredible. It's also featured on the covers with related articles in this month's Guns & Ammo, American Rifleman, Combat Handguns and other magazines. It holds 14 rounds (13 in the mag & 1 in the chamber)and hits where you aim it. I've had the same gun in 9mm for a while and love it. The XD-45 is my new carry gun!
    SprXD45ACP.jpeg

No problem feeding JHP or SJHP? Can it handle +p ++P loads? How much did it cost you?

Thanks
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I fired over 100 rounds of FMJ and JHP both fast and slow firing. Not one jam, misfeed, fte or stovepipe. It hit exactly where I aimed it and recoil was minimal.

It cost me $499 with the free XD package: two 13-round mags, holster, mag loader and magazine carrier.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds good. I'll have to go to a shop and put my mits on one. I was looking at a Sig-Sauer P220 as well.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    One more vote for Sig.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I'll go a different route. Try an EAA Witness P. It is fairly inexpensive, doesn't jam, takes all sorts of ammo and is dead-@$$ accurate. Plus, it fits in the hand nicely.

I've had mine for a few years, no troubles whatsoever.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a SIG 220 that I can't say anything bad about.I saw a new one in the gunshop yesterday with a price of $750 so if I did not already have one I could not afford to buy it.I have a Ruger P97 that I think is the best 45 for the money.But with Ruger auto pistols you either love them or hate them.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Glock 21 is a great firearm. I have owned one for over 10 years and it has never failed to feed and is quite accurate.

The H&K line is also a good choice IMHO.....
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I love the Kimber 1911's myself, but I would vote for the sig 220 if you are looking for something that will be happy with reloaded lead and other jacketed ammo. They are tack drivers right out of the box, also.

Sig232
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't believe everything you read. The only time I have ever heard of any gun exploding was for one of two reasons....

1. Barrel is clogged.
    2. Ammo was improperly charged or substandard in some other way. (mostly reloads cause this problem)

If you were to see a large spike of gun failures, there would immediately be a mass recall, due to the dangerous nature of the defect. Have you heard of any???

The Glock 21 or any other Glock is an awesome firearm.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I have been told not to use my reloads in my Glocks. The gentleman was a Glock expert and stated it had to do with the poly whatever cut of the barrel. Lead could build up and cause a fire with the slide open a tad which would expell those nasty hot gases into your face.

Now dumb ole me, I have fired quite a few of my choice lead reloads through this pistol, knowing that Glock advised against it. I assumed that they were just trying to protect themselves from any chance of lawsuits in the event of a mistake in the reloading process that resulted in a double charge into a round.

Now I find out that its not wise to use lead reloads. Coated lead is just fine. My bad, I was lucky I guess, but I do pay attention to the slide slipping back into battery and don't do a lot of fast shooting.

So.....Glocks are tough as heck, and fun to shoot, but it is cheaper to load lead so this limits the use of the glock on some ocassions.
    I have no experience with the new springfields but think they look great.

Sig232
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sidewinder315
    I need some input on a good auto loading .45 After two bouts with 1911 platform guns, that would only feed hard ball ammo (some times) I am wanting to go a different direction. I was thinking about a Glock 21, but most recently I have been hearing all these horror stories of KB! events in the Glock line, going BOOM! instead of BANG. At any rate here is what I am looking for:
    A auto loading .45 that will feed and shoot any ammo I load into it.
    One that won't blow up in my hand if a hot round slips by.
    One that will hit where it is aimed.
    One that won't cost my my first born.
    I must admit, I am fairly new to the pistol world so any advice is much appreciated.

The 1911 platform has been around for almost 100 years, it is accurate and reliabe, PERIOD. Some things make it more reliable or accurate , but the design is almost faultless.

The Glock 21 ( I have one) is NOT KB prone. It feels like a 2X6 Nailed to a 2X4 in my hand. It has a crappy trigger to boot. It is accurate but not match grade. It shoots and feeds all ammo, I hate the darn thing.

To see what really works look at what NRA bullseye shooters use. That is where accuracy and reliability is paramount. The 1911 rules this class of gun.
  • Options
    staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i personaly am a 1911 fan. both my carry gun (springfield lightweight compact) and my custom rig that i am playing with are quite reliabl. but that said if you are going to shy away from a 1911 design, remember that you get what you pay for with 1911s, my best advise would be a H&K. they are some of the best made producion handguns that you can put your mits on. if a USP tactical in .45 is good enough for the U.S> navy Seals, Rangers, and other socom units it is good enough for me

P.S. i am aware that the primary seal handgun is the sig sauer. they have not carried the mk23 in years, complaind it was to large for a backup.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig 220
    Used SA,Colt,Kimber you get to try with different ammo before buying.
    CP