In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 win VS a 12 ga. Slug

MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Is a thrity thrity more accurate than a 12 ga. And would it be worth while to buy one if one already owns a slug gun.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a word, Yes, a 30-30 is considerably more accurate than a 12 gauge slug. Slug guns are typically fine for a point-blank to 75 yard shot. A 30-30 is very capable at easily twice that distance, and is more accurate. In my opinion, everyone should own a Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever-action[^]
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not going to try to say that I have a lot of experience with a 30-30 but I have found that it isn't all that difficlut to find a shotgun that will group a saboted slug under 2"(or less) at 100 yards. And if you're using one of the lighter slugs, drop at 150 yards isn't too bad either. And if I'm not mistaken that 12 gauge slug is going to have a little more energy at 150 than the 30-30. Maybe most of those 30-30s do half inch groups at 100 yards - I don't know.

If I had the choice, I would probably go with the 30-30 as well but strictly from the cost persepective - those dang 12 gauge sabots are silly expensive.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    or a 336 Marlin 30-30, Bert [:D]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:If I had the choice, I would probably go with the 30-30 as well but strictly from the cost persepective - those dang 12 gauge sabots are silly expensive.

I've got four boxes (20 sabots) of Federal Classic rifled slugs in mint condition that I purchased probably 10 or so years ago. I wish I knew someone who would buy them, I'll never use them.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I agree the 30-30 is the better choice. Take a look at the new ammo from Hornady. They have recently developed a soft point that will work in the magazines safely and extend the range/energy out to 200+

Their claim, not mine.

Sig
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They also have those new bullet shaped saboted rounds, has dimensions and looks like a giant copper jacketed bullet.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might buy you a little more range. I am comfortable with a 12 ga.
    with rifled barrel and sabots out to 125 yards. My 870 will group
    a three shots clover leaf at 75 yards as long as I do my part.

JMHO
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree that the 30-30 has a greater effective range than the 12 ga., even when you are using a shotgun with good iron sights, the 12 ga slug drops like a rock at extended range.

I would second KX500's comments abou the 12 ga still having more energy than 30-30 at 125 yards. The great thing about the 12 ga slug is that at much shorter ranges it has more energy than most any centerfire rifle.

I've shot whitetail deer with the 30-30 and with the 12ga. slug. the 30-30 is effective, but the 12ga just rolls them over. I once shot a deer in the chest from the front with a 12ga slug at about 25 yards. The slug knocked the deer backwards on its haunches and onto its back. very very dead.
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have killed deer with both. two years took 12 to woods and killed two with one shot each at about 60 yards. awsome. but over 100 yards i would choose the 30 30.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends if you have an old slug gun with a smooth bore, then for sure the 30-30. But the new slug guns are quite accurate up to 150 yards. I have a WIN 1300, works great and have never missed. Me personally I wouldnt take a shot with a slug past 100-125. Past 100 yards your best bet is the 30-30. But within a hundred yards if you know how to shoot the slug gun is probably your best bet, that baby has some knock down power. I also have a Marlin 336, and i like that as well. But I live in Michigan and the average distance for deer taken is 50 yards. A lot of guys get hyped on these mags, but if your in the woods those guns are rediculous. So I guess it depends on what you want, and how well you shoot. Under 100 yards I would say keep the slug gun and save money. But if your looking to get out towards 200 yards go with a 30-30. But you could get a 30-30 and have a new gun which is always nice.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is something you can't do with a 12 Gauge...A 30-30 150 grain softpoint sighted-in to be dead on at 10 yards...will also be dead on at 305 yards! And up to 340 yards...your bullet will never be more than +10 or -10 inches from point of aim from the muzzle all the way out to 340 yards!!! Who says the old 30-30 is not a long-range rifle???