In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blueing Question

74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to blue a case hardened receiver with little sucsess. Does any one have any tips or ideas? I'm useing Brownels blueing

Comments

• Options
    74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What makes the blueing on a Colt Python so special? It looks to me to be one of the finest bluing jobs I have ever seen. It looks like a blackish blue. How do they do the bluing on the Python? Thanks for the info. Bob[:)][8]
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They took there time. Metal preparation is very important. Highly polished metal turns out better. JMHO, based on my accuired knowledge.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Metal prep just like the man said look at the early COLT commerical 1911's or S&W pre 1900 or preWWII pistols Early Winchester's even High Standards Model 102/103 trophy's even Colt Sauer rifles
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i agree with all the above. metal prep is the most important step. i blue guns, this is what i know. you must carefully polish to a high gloss for that type blue. plus the type of bluing used as an effect on the finished product. slow rust, hot caustic,etc.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    A hand polish will bring out a better shine than a powered wheel will.
    A slow rust blue hand polished will beat a wheel polish and a caustic blue hands down anytime.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the early 1911s colt would dip the frames and slides in "boiling gasoline" to clean them. sounds kind of scary to me, but that's what it says in one of my Colt books.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the high polish...A product I use after the fine sand-paper and steel wool is called Nevr-Dull. It's available in most hardware stores. It's a cotton wadding product that will give you that "extra level" of polish. It will leave a film...but after cleaning off with a soft rag...I will then clean with rubbing alcohol and finish with a soft polishing cloth...then you are ready to apply the blue.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Another advantage to hand polishing is that you won't break corners as easily as with a wheel.