In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W barrel

blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am contemplating the purchase of a replacement barrel for a MOD. 25 .45 Colt due to a bulge in the barrel. My question is, will a barrel originally for a .45 ACP interchange?

Thanks for any help, but I don't want guesses. I need the advise of someone who KNOWS FOR SURE.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello It is my understanding that the barrels are the same thread. However the gap between the front of cylinder and barrel might not be the same with different barrel installed and you may/will need to turn the barrel shoulder back to get the front sight to line Up This will foul up the cylinder gap. The steel used in both shoud be the same but you might want to check with S&W "IF THEY WILL TELL YOU" I know the old Nframe 44 special barrels will split in the forceing cone area if you shoot 44 mag thru them .The barrel steel for 44 special is"NOT" the same as 44 MAG
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir,

To contact Smith & Wesson customer service center, call 1 800 331 0852 mon.thru fri. 8 to 8 EST.

I bet you'll be pleasently surprised as to how knowledgable & helpful they can be.
  • Options
    SuperMagSuperMag Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello It is my understanding that the barrels are the same thread. However the gap between the front of cylinder and barrel might not be the same with different barrel installed and you may/will need to turn the barrel shoulder back ...

What he said. And this has the added advantage of shortening that god-awful forcing cone down to something more useful in terms of accuracy... Go for it! [;)]
  • Options
    blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I REALLY appreciate it!!!!!