In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

choke tube lubrication

Qdog002Qdog002 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a autoloader with choke tubes. My first. I`m asking is it mandatory that I use a lube when changing them? Any comments much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, its not mandatory, but it helps when removing them. I would use it sparingly.

I have several guns with choke tubes. What I do, at home, is when removing the tubes is clean them off, put some oil on the threads then wipe the oil off and screw back in.

In the field I dont worry about it. Just remove the one you dont need and replace with the one you do and get back to shooting.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Only if you ever want to change them. Any standard choke lube will work or a dab of never seize.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little tube of choke grease costs almost nothing and then the chokes come out when you want them out. If changing in the field, replacing a tube with another ungreased tube will work fine. Clean them after shooting and lightly oil any not in gun barrel for storage.