In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How does this sound?

gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Winchester Co.:

Department of Personal, I am a 9th grade student. I go to Brockway Area Junior/ Senior High school. I'm interested in as to what courses of study you would recommend to be an employee of your company; preferably in the design of powder or the actual bullet itself.
Currently, my classes are History, Algebra 1, Civics, English 9, General Science, Vocational Agriculture, and Spanish 1, could you recommend classes I should take for my 10th grade year and beyond. Possibly and any higher level schools geared towards that kind of work, collages etc.
Your products have worked well for me, helping me take three nice whitetail deer. I have also much success using your reloading products (powders, primers, cases) winning more than enough matches. Success goes hand in hand with your products.

Carl Richard Faulk

I want to mail this to the winchester company, trying to get a job there after schooling. Suggestins would be appriated.

Thankyou and Godbless

Comments

• Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well for one, Winchester went out of business. That being said, I would not belive you could just get a job at any manufacturer straight out of highschool, especially in bullet or case design. You would need a degree for that, something like aeronautical engineering I'm assuming?
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These people can help;
    ASK US (501)517-0475

This guys mother is a genius when it comes to ammunition, everytime you pull the trigger you use one of her patents (she has 19 relating to ammunition). She worked for Winchester, China Lake arsenal and the retired from Remington as the head of developement. This company is set up to help indivudals and answer their questions. I believe chemistry is the key.

Lance
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    Hello Bill,

Yes, the U. S. Repeating Arms Co which licenses the Winchester name from Olin is closing their New Haven Plant. However Olin did not sell off the ammunition companies Winchester and Western and so the ammunition companies are not a part of the New Haven factory closing.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mistake, I read into it as to mean USRAC.
  • Options
    gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm talking about the wichester ammo copany
    its a rough draft

Thankyou and Godbless
  • Options
    00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carl,

Work with your high school counselor in taking courses in chemistry and mathematics - you're going to be going to college and getting an engineering degree in either chemical engineering (working with a powder company to give your chemical engineering degree a slant in gunpowder), or getting a mechanical engineering degree (here you'll need to work with a bullet company to give your degree a slant in bullet design).

I would suggest that you work with your high school counselor in drafting a letter of introduction of yourself, describing your future career goals, and request recommendations in areas of college study.

You'll want to introduce yourself to ALL of the companies in the fields that you are interested in ..... I repeat ALL OF THEM!

As you get responses from these companies, place these responses in files with the contact names, phone numbers, email and postal addresses. That way you can continue to correspond with the design and engineering teams that have shown an interest and took the time to reply to you.

Some of these companies may be able to offer you an internship during the summers of your college career. I would also try to learn the names of all of the members of the design teams as you continue to correspond with these companies - the youngest member of the team may very well end up being your supervisor after you graduate from college.

I have a very good friend (and he's a little more than half my age and twice yours) who heads up the the engineering design team of the tactical division of Leupold & Stevens - he's a very happy man!

Good luck and please keep us apprised of your developments.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't I read somewhere that Olin sold the Winchester powder line to Hodgden??
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Good Morning Carl: You've got some Decent and Respectful Replies to your request.....Re-Read the replies several times! Digest what was said and then follow what was said....You'll go Far. We at <gunbroker.com> Wish You Well in your endeavor and feel that You'll succeed.......Best....Captain Kirk
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carl- congratulations on giving some thought to what you would like to be doing with your life. You have had some very good responses so far- DO work with your guidance counselor (unless you have one that feels that guns are yucky and evil) DO plan on getting at LEAST a Bachelor's degree in Engineering. ALL of the math and ALL of the sciences that you can get- Chemistry and Physics especially. Rather than the personnel dept (not personal) you may want to spend some web time looking up folks in the design departments, and addressing them. And cast your net broadly- besides Winchester, there's Remington, Ruger, Colt, S&W. and all of the companies that make powder and primers. Good luck, and best wishes to you.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Department of Personal, I am a 9th grade student. I go to Brockway Area Junior/ Senior High school. I'm interested in as to what courses of study you would recommend for some one seeking to be an employee of your company, preferably in the design of powder ors bullets.
    Currently, my classes are History, Algebra 1, Civics, English 9, General Science, Vocational Agriculture, and Spanish 1, could you recommend classes I should take for my 10th grade year and beyond. Possibly and any higher level schools geared towards that kind of work, collages etc.
    Your products have worked well for me, helping me take three nice whitetail deer. I have also much success using your reloading products (powders, primers, cases) winning more than enough matches. Success goes hand in hand with your products.

Note some minor style changes. Also note that the letter is a bit "chatty" for a business letter, I would drop the entire last paragraph. Likely no one there will be able to suggest high school courses that will be of help, beyond, get all the math and chemistry you can. You will certainly be looking at a University degree, perhaps a graduate degree for design work. Good start! Good Luck!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carl,

I thinks it's great that you are trying to think ahead to a career instead of just falling into a job.

Your academic counselors are the best place to start as the others have pointed out. Go see your English teacher first and have him or her lend a hand in adding the finishing touches to your letter. Maybe they have some other ideas about wording or expressing your ideas. Write it again and then take it back to the English teacher for review. Take my word for this, it never hurts to have someone read what you've written.

But don't forget the rest of your teachers that are available to you now. The Chemistry, Math and Physics teachers could be a terrific help in developing your curriculum for your final years in High School. See if some of those instructor will help you with "directed studies" which might be outside the regular course work but specific to your needs. Don't forget that there can be courses available through your local Community College also.

Good luck!

tailgunner,

News and Press Releases

Winchester signs license agreement with Hodgdon Powder Company

1/30/2006

Winchester Ammunition and Hodgdon Powder Company, two great names in reloading, are proud to announce a license agreement that is sure to excite every handloader. Winchesterr branded reloading powders will now be licensed to Hodgdon Powder Company. Hodgdon Powder Company is the industry leader in supplying reloading powders. This partnership positions Winchester brand powders to best support the reloading customers' needs.

You will still be able to find your favorite Winchester powder, from 231 to Super Target, with the consistent supply and support you are accustomed to from Hodgdon Powder Company.

After a brief transition period, Hodgdon Powder Company will assume responsibility for all orders, shipments, customer and technical service, including loading data for all Winchester branded reloading powders. Winchester Ammunition will continue to be your full line provider of world class ammunition and reloading components.

For further information on Winchester branded powders, please visit www.winchester.com or www.hodgdon.com.

To me, this sounds more like logistics and testing rather than manufacturing.

Best.