In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.17 calibers

DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I recently got a ruger 10/22 and i would like to get a .17 caliber rifle. i found a conversion kit for the 10/22 that would convert it to a 17 HM2. Is this a good caliber?Never heard much about it and would like to know a little.How is it compared to the 17 HMR and the 17 Mach 2? Should i go ahead and buy the conversion? ANY THOUGHTS?

Comments

• Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like the HMR is a necked-down version of the .22 WMR, the .17 MACH2 is a necked down .22LR. I'd stick with the .22 personally. Ammo is cheaper, and it will do most if not all of what the .17MACH2 will do. Just MHO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Costik
    Just like the HMR is a necked-down version of the .22 WMR, the .17 MACH2 is a necked down .22LR. I'd stick with the .22 personally. Ammo is cheaper, and it will do most if not all of what the .17MACH2 will do. Just MHO.
    so you're saying that the 17 HM2 is the 17 mach2?
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you want a 17 shop around the discount sellers and get a Savage low priced bolt action in 17 magnum rimfire it is superior to the mach 2 or hm2 . thats two names for the same thing.
    I believe you can get one for what the conversion kit will cost and be better off than trying to change back and forth with your
    Ruger.I have sold a number of the Savages at about $200 and everyone has been an excellent shooter.
    I would bet on the Savage outshooting the conversion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D.S.COLE
    if you want a 17 shop around the discount sellers and get a Savage low priced bolt action in 17 magnum rimfire it is superior to the mach 2 or hm2 . thats two names for the same thing.
    I believe you can get one for what the conversion kit will cost and be better off than trying to change back and forth with your
    Ruger.I have sold a number of the Savages at about $200 and everyone has been an excellent shooter.
    I would bet on the Savage outshooting the conversion.

seen em' i also like the marlins they aint too bad.....
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Costik
    so you're saying that the 17 HM2 is the 17 mach2?

Yes. HM2 stands for "hornady mach II".

The 17 Mach2 is basically a .22 long rifle necked down to take .17 caliber bullets. As the name implies, the muzzle velocity is over 2000 feet per second (mach II, twice the speed of sound) with that round in a rifle, though the bullet weight is a teeny 17 grains (compared to 40 grains for a standard .22).

Its a lot less powerful than the 17 magnum, which is based on the .22 magnum case.

Supposed advantage over .22 LR is a flatter trajectory (something like one inch flatter at 100 yards), though the light bullet is more easily deflected by wind. They're also supposed to be super-accurate, though how much more accurate they are compared to match .22, I can't say.

I agree with Bill here. I don't see that much advantage over a standard .22. You get a little flatter trajectory, but that really isn't going to matter unless you routinely take 100 yard+ shots. IT might be worth it for increased accuracy at less than the cost of traditional match ammo, if you can take advantage of that.

With "ordinary" CCI stingers, you can get a much heavier 32 grain .22 up to 1650 fps, or you can even use the Aguila "max" ammo that will get a 30 grainer up to 1750 fps. You're not quite at the speed and flatness of the .17, but you're most of the way there with similar kinetic energy, a heavier bullet (meaning less wind deflection), cheaper and easier to find ammo, and no special gun required.
  • Options
    SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why hasn't Ruger stepped up and produced the 10/22 in 17 HM2 from the factory yet?
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    If it were me id stick with a .22. The .17 tends to be very wind intolerant. And at 30 yrds shooting cans it would glance off instead of penetrating. Great accuracy on a calm day though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok. thanks for the replies. i have learned a little.......[:D]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chrishiher
    If it were me id stick with a .22. The .17 tends to be very wind intolerant. And at 30 yrds shooting cans it would glance off instead of penetrating. Great accuracy on a calm day though.

What kinda can you shooting to get it to do that??
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    hi, these are a up & comming trend her, i never had one , but the guys at the club swear by them for small mamals & clean kills. a fast round,very flat trajectory, also they burn the barrel out, so im told..