In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NY CCW

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
A couple of people asked about NY pistol permits. A few issues required clarity.
First- NY state is NOT NYC. NY state is bigger than most states and the city is a VERY small part of it. NYC requires a separate CCW license for the city and the state license is no good there (Don't get that one)I know little of the difficulty in getting one.

Second- My NY CCW is good for life-just double checked. The type of license is determined by the county judge (the issuing authority)More liberal county judges will not issue CCW's, more conservative ones will. Mine cost about $100 at the time I got it about 8 years ago. It was very easy to get.

Comments

• Options
    Sidewinder315Sidewinder315 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live upstate as well. In my county, all non law enforcement permits are rubber stamped "Hunting and target only". I guess if you wanted to get a lawyer and go to court, one could get a un-restricted license. Who has the time and money for that? I have been told the judge we have is anti gun, and he has his way with us. Sad.[:(!]
  • Options
    toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i live in orleans county and our judge which i feel is a good one issues concealed carry permits...i thought it was unlawfull to issue one for target or hunting only...i thought the group scope took this to court and won...a little strange that it is state law and county enforced...this was always a problem when i had my license to sell handguns in the state and all counties are different...each has there own rules....tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toolman9mm
    i live in orleans county and our judge which i feel is a good one issues concealed carry permits...i thought it was unlawfull to issue one for target or hunting only...i thought the group scope took this to court and won...a little strange that it is state law and county enforced...this was always a problem when i had my license to sell handguns in the state and all counties are different...each has there own rules....tom

Group scope? Tell me more. I'd like nothing better than to be able to go back to the issuing judge and demand a un restricted tag.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Mine was issued in St. Lawrence and transferred to Onondaga.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I wonder if I am understanding this correctly? In New York State you are required to have a pistol permit to have a pistol. Does this license allow you to carry a concealed weapon? If so then $100 is a great deal for a lifetime license.

Now if this is simply a license to own a pistol and take it to the range or for hunting, it seems like full blown gun registration to me. I hope I have not read you information correctly.

Sig232
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Last I knew the permit allows concealed carry as per NYS laws. The $100 permit for life refers to NYC, and probably needs a state permit as well. It would probably not mean much by itself upstate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sig232
    I wonder if I am understanding this correctly? In New York State you are required to have a pistol permit to have a pistol. Does this license allow you to carry a concealed weapon? If so then $100 is a great deal for a lifetime license.

Now if this is simply a license to own a pistol and take it to the range or for hunting, it seems like full blown gun registration to me. I hope I have not read you information correctly.

Sig232

You have to have a handgun permit to purchase a handgun. Depending on what county you live in, the issuing judge will either give you a un-restrictedd carry license, or one like the one I was issued that was rubber stamped "hunting and Target". I have been told in the past, that NY only issues (2) types of permits, (1) being a concealed caryy, (2) being a premise permit, for at home or business. Yet mine is not a premise, but is marked Hunting and target". I really don't know what to believe, I do know that I don't want to find out the hard way that my permit does not allow me to carry concealed though. Felony weapons charges are no joke.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New York City ??? remember the 'pace salsa' comerical ? anyhow , just another reason I really enjoy living here in Gun Friendly Tn........
    Glad I do not have any reasons to live in a anti-gun commy state !
    Good Luck !
    d.a.stearns
    Gusnmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Naaah, not NYC, I live way up north, 10 miles from VT. We're country folk[;)]
  • Options
    crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For more information on CCW in all states check out:
    http://www.packing.org/

I live in Ulster County NY about 100 miles north of NYC and I have a unrestricted permit.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sidewinder315
    I live upstate as well. In my county, all non law enforcement permits are rubber stamped "Hunting and target only". I guess if you wanted to get a lawyer and go to court, one could get a un-restricted license. Who has the time and money for that? I have been told the judge we have is anti gun, and he has his way with us. Sad.[:(!]

What a politically sleazy way of issusing a CCW without really issusing a CCW. They just as easily could have stamped "only valid while on your own property" and therefore issued a CCW without really issussing one.

Kinda like issusing you a drivers license and stamping on it"only valid off road".