In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

550 Dillon

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
This is also on the reloading forum, Sorry for beating a dead horse but I would like to make a decision by April 1st.
I think this has been discussed before, but I cannot find it. Here goes. Does any one have a 550 Dillon, and how do you like it. Please rate ease of use, construction, factory support and would YOU recommend it.
I have reloaded for 30 years, and had a much less expensive progressive about 15 years ago and ripped it off the bench and ran over it with a 1990 F -150 and threw it in the trash.
It was painted red. Nuff said?
I am ready to jump in again but am a little shy about gambling even more money on a bad experience. I would load 45 ACP, .357 mag and possibly 9mm. Also can I load .223 on this press without a time consuming changeover?
How about using dies I already have or do I have to use Dillon?Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dillion press is great, it needs to be maintained just as any other piece of equipment and the technical support is great. When press needs parts replaced most of the time they will take care of them.

I use the Dillion as if it were a single stage press and when I feel like producing large amount of ammo I use it progressive.

5 Years still like the press.

Emmett
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had my Dillon 550 for about fifteen years and it has given me 100% trouble free service, with thousands and thosands of rounds loaded. Their customer service is great, their tech help is friendly and knowledgable and they ship orders quickly. I would not trade my 550 for any other machine...and I have tried a few others. Once you get it set up and running, you can knock out a hundred loaded rounds in about 6 minutes without pushing it. You have to learn the machine and learn what feels right and what is not right in the loading process, you can start out loading one round at a time until you get the feel for it, then advance to using the machine as a progressive. Buy it, you will not be sorry!
    I load 45acp, 45colt, 38, 357, 30-30, 308 and 223. You can use any ones dies, the machine takes standard threaded dies. It is easy to change calibers if you buy extra tool heads, leaving your dies in place, ready for the next session. Call Dillon and ask them to send you the 550 video, it will show you the complete operation of the machine.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I agree with the comments above. The Dillon is a fantastic piece of equipment. I reloaded for 30years with my old Pacific press and then the RCBS single stage.

When buying the Dillon I could not believe the difference. Sold the Pacific and the RCBS quickly and never looked back. I load 38spc, 357, 45, 45LC, 9mm, 356TSW, 380, 44Special, 44mag and have dies for my 450 Marlin. Its fast, accurate and easy to maintain.

The service is great and advice is available.

But you do have to remain awake when you load. YOu can get caught up in the speed thing and do a double charge or forget to put in the primer, etc.

Recommend it highly.

Sig232
    NRA Patron Member
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you can use other makes of dies, they can cause problems. Some are a little too short, & some make the cases tilt when they enter the die. You will find that it's better to just "bite the bullet" & buy the Dillon dies; besides, they have engineering improvements that make them a pleasure to use, such as quick release plugs in the seating dies.

The complete head assemblies make it easy to change calibers, but they can get pricey. I still can't bring myself to buy a new powder measure for each caliber, but that may not be a bad investment.

Neal
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,973 ******
    edited November -1
    LIKE THE OTHERS SAID "GO BLUE", YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. I'VE HAD DILLON EQUIPMENT SINCE THE EARLY 80'S AND LOAD ALMOST EVERYTHING FROM .22 HORNET UP TO .458 WIN MAG. CALIBER CHANGES TAKE A MAX OF 5 MINETS IF YOU HAVE TO CHANGE PRIMER SIZE TOO.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of the 550's mounted side by side-that way I don't have to switch the primer set-ups. Have had them about 15 years. I broke a powder measure when I had a 9mm case stuck inside another case. Called Dillon and got a new part for the measure in a couple of days-no charge. Great machine-great service. I have used Dillon and other dies. Sometimes the other brand dies will leave a primer stuck on the pin and then reseats the old (fired) primer. That has been my biggest problem when using other companies dies. You won't regret the Dillon-and they usually sell used for almost as much as you paid when new.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got two myself for the same reason

as far as construction, two words is it is "over constructed", i have put over 20,000 rounds through each of them, and they look, and work like the day i bought them, Dillon's no bs warranty is just that, call them up tell them the problem, and it will get fixed, and to top if off the guy you will be talking to will be a good old American country boy who knows his stuff
  • Options
    merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading but bought a 550 for my first outfit and love it. Yes it is easy to do a double charge if not paying attention and powder goes everywhere and is a mess but that could happen with any progressive unless you had the warning system. Dillon's no BS policy is just what it means. Great service, great product. Don't be afraid to go fer it. Blue is cooool.BTW,flying is cool too. Do you have time in 17's and 51's?
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I agree with the comments about using Dillon dies. They offer an advantage for easy cleaning and are very easy to adj. They can be a bit more expensive but in the long run are worth the extra bucks.

Buy extra powder measures and changing tool heads and dies is a a snap.

Sig232
    NRA Patron Member
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't go wrong with the 550 (or any Dillon product). Once you set it up, it's very easy to load ammo. Construction is fairly robust. Factory support is the best in the world. I have been using Dillon products for 15 years (Square Deal, 550, 650).

And if you ever do run over it with a 1990 F-150, just send it back to Dillon and they'll repair it or replace it, no questions asked.