In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington model 700 .300 win. mag.

37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a model 700 sps in .300 winchester mag.
i plan on reloading instead of buying factory loads...can anyone give me some good loads for accuracy along with hunting?...i read with the magnums you want to try to keep the loads close to maximum to keep the powder buring clean and to keep the pressure down and avoid any hang fires.

i have not yet purchased a scope for it but i want to get a tactical..do i have to worry about the recoil damaging scopes? (i would think not but thought i'd ask)

last of all i purchased it for 375 bucks did i get a good deal?

thanks in advance for any information you guys/gals can give me

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    anyone? no one has any experience with a .300 win mag? it doesnt have to be a remington either
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If it was a Ultra Mag it would, or should be marked on the barrel no matter how long it is.
    If in doubt take a chamber casting.
    Check out a few loading manuels for loading data, and use the starting loads....
    Barrels are so different that you need to find a good one for YOUR rifle, someone elses load may be to hot or whatever for yoyur gun.
    Buy a Burris Tactical scope, and put it in Burris Signature rings, and never look back.
    If the rifle is clean the price is a good one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    when i looked at the website i read the information wrong the magnum and ultra mag are both available in 26" barrels..so i answered my own question there...i've checked the lyman manual and they only give loads for a 24" barrel not the 26"...the rifle is brand new...someone had gotten it for a present or won it and did not want it so they sold it to cabellas...cabellas could not sell it "as new" so they had to discount it...it was also on the clearance rack to boot
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    74gr RL22 with a 178gr a-max and a fed 215M primer

look at the Burris tactical, Leupold MK IV M1, IOR Valdada, or Nightforce NXS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies justc and mr bruce...i just ordered a burris 2-7x35 fullfield 2 tactical ($210) (it would be nice to have more magnification but i dont want to spend huge bucks for something thats going to be going through the woods etc)i also just ordered a set of rcbs dies for 30 bucks...can't wait for the scope to get here so i can start playing[:D]
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for what its worth: the magnums have the extra barrel lenght to aid in developing the pressure needed to spit out the slug at the higher velocities and from personal experence select a slower burning powder that fills the case the fullest. (h4350 extreme) is one of my favorites. the fuller the case the more even the burn. off the rack button forged or hammer forged barrels are not as fussy about loads as are custom made competetion barrels whos' shooters annul the brass after it has been purchased in case lots to insure wall thickness etc. along with a zillion other tricks when loading to insure dead on exact accuracy every time. don't sweat the small stuff, sounds like you found yourself a shooter, enjoy 'er
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well i just recieved my burris fullfield 2 tactical 3-9x40 tonight and mounted it on the rifle...seems to be a very nice piece with a VERY crisp sight picture...thanks MR Bruce for recomending me that scope...well worth the money in my mind...hopefully i'll get out tomorrow and get a chance to sight it and break in the barrel....i think this ones a closed case[8D]