In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Laser versus red dot

joepoidogjoepoidog Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
As a follow up to a previous question, what is the difference between a laser and a red dot scope? I hate to show my ignorance, but I thought they were one and the same. Is one better than the other for specific uses, pricier, etc., or is it just a matter of personal preference? Thanks, again. Joe

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    A laser projects a beam of light onto the target. Handy when you want the target to know they are being targeted.

A red dot appears to have the same dot, but it isn't projected at all. Handy when you don't want the target to know anything is happening.

The laser doesn't work well in bright light, but the red dot scope isn't affected by the light.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Laser projects the beam direct to the target. A red dot is simply a floating dot within the scope that you must center over your target.
    A simplified explaination to be sure.

Sig232
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO a red dot can be looked at as a one power scope that has a red dot instead of cross-hairs this dot can be adjusted for how bright it is and unlike a scope gives a full field of view and no parralax. They work great for BULLS_EYE pistol shooting and are a blessing to older shooters with eyes that are not as good as they once were. A laser it just like a laser pointer but attached to a pistol or rifle the shooter tends to move their wrist to get it to point where you want to hit again not a good thing in pistol shooting IMHO you can use it in total darkness but the shootie can see it as well as the shooter again not a good thing. a laser is not good enough to idenify a target friend or foe but the bad guy does not worry about who you are he just shoots you.by seeing your laser .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I might add that the laser works best for quick target acquisition in defensive situations. Point and shoot. I have a crimson trace laser on my model 38 S&W bodyguard and it is compact and works great for defense.

The red dot on the other hand is best for target work. Its fast also but the scope is much larger, cannot be stuffed into your pocket like a crimson trace laser equiped pistol.

But for old eyes and target work the red dot is sweet as the gentleman before me stated. It extends the range time for us old guys. A blessing.

I hope this helps.
    Sig 232
    NRA Patron Member
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The red dot on the other hand is best for target work. Its fast also but the scope is much larger, cannot be stuffed into your pocket like a crimson trace laser equiped pistol.

Let me give you another point of perspective. A laser is most useful on a pistol, but probably not a rifle. Vice versa for a rifle. Red dots are meant for quick acquisition, and do not do well for "range work" as you stated. Their main purpose is for a both eyes open shooting point for shooting, much like a laser does, with a much less chance of losing the dot.

My CAR-15A2 has both on it. The laser is best used at night and only up to about 30 yards, before the dot becomes too difficult to see. I might add that using a laser in conjunction with a scope is stupid and ill-advised.
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Leaper 42mm Red/Green dot scope (1power) and a red laser(under the forarm) on my Vector 93 (HK 33clone). The difference in colors help for an extreamly fast target sighting where they meet! Best< Robert[;)]
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something like this?:

SLR101wWlntUppr061205.jpg

I don't ever use the two together, though.
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have a rail under the forearm for quick attachment of the laser or light, these will also fit my other rifles and pistols. Best< Robert[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hot damn thats purdy "Frogbert".

Sig
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Plus, the Red Dot, in most cases is much cheaper than the laser, so maybe that is a factor in your decision.

Sig232
    NRA Patron Member
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    If you're going to use it in daylight - you might want to get yourself one of those that can be switched from red dot - to green dot.

The Green is much more visible in daylight conditions than the red is.