In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sub-sonic

zoritozorito Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
can anyone help me out. i bought some 22 and 9mm sub-sonic rounds to try to be considerare of my neighbors but can`t see much difference in the noise level, maybe best to give and pay the price for a supressor.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello there are two sounds we hear when we fire a firearm one is the air/gasses coming out the end of the barrel and the other is the sonic boom caused by the bullet breaking the sound barrier sub sonic rounds only keep the sonic boom from occuring. but does nothing about the Gasses. a supressor will quiet the gasses but nothing about the sonic boom to be truely quiet you must have both a supressor and sub-sonic ammo.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are 2 components to the noise of a supersonic round
    1 is the "crack" of the bullets sonic wave
    2 is the noise of the hot gasses hitting the air.
    A supressor works on the second item, but can do nothing for the first. Sub-sonic ammo dosn't have the first item (obviously) but it still has the second. Using a loonngg barrel will often help with the powder noise issue (has to do with the gasses having time/space to fully expand & cool before venting to air)

The CB / BB caps and the longer powderless rounds should quite your 22 down quite a bit (and shorten up the range of the bullet), but I don't have a answer for you on the 9mm, except for finding a longer barrel.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    If you want to shoot wihtout upsetting your neighbors, either do the silencer thing, or stick to 22s and the primer-only ammo from colibri or aguila.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    There are some quite silent types of .22's out there.

As mentioned - the Aquila and Colibri.

But I believe it's winchester that makes a " .22 LONG Z "
    That's also a quiet type of ammo.

Better yet - invite the neighbours over for a talk, BBQ and talk with them.
    Maybe they'd understand it better or accept it. Maybe even join in on the fun.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't think you will quiet the 9 without a suppressor. For the 22, go get a box of CCI CB Longs. Aguilla Colibri is also very quiet, but may be harder to find. The CB long from a rifle is about as loud as a bb gun. Not likely to cycle an autoloader, but can be cycled by hand. No problem with bolts, levers, or pumps.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of a rifle the Colibri (primer only) rounds are totally silent. As in, all you hear is a firing pin click and the round hitting the paper.

The downside to the "silent" low powered .22s that sound like an airgun firing is that they have ballistics to match. . .these are very underpowered rounds.

Being slow velocity, you will have to adjust your sights or point of aim. Also, the low power makes them unsuitable for hunting anything but the smallest game at very close ranges.
  • Options
    jimfulcojimfulco Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found the CCI CB Shorts were MUCH quieter than the CB Longs, with little difference in performance. The longer case requires more powder to get the same pressure, I guess.
  • Options
    blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The accuracy of subsonic opposed to regular cartridges fired out of a 2and half inch barrel sucks! Regular rounds through the same revolver hit at least close to the point of aim.Subsonics were going high and low left and right.
  • Options
    zoritozorito Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the help,ihave several things to try. does anyone make a suppressor that can be moved from gun to gun or are they all threaded to one gun?