In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auto 5 claims new in box

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its not new in the box....has too much wear. i use to deal in nib brownings and i'd rate that 98% WITH BOX AND PAPERS.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bobski is right on. I would like to get a look at the bolt face and internals just to see how much has been run through it. Too much wear on mag cut-off and marks on the side or the receiver.

Lance
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are a couple in an upcomming rock island auction www.rockislandauctions.com
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look carefully at the button to close the action. Looks worn to me. Blueing is also off the barrel where the barrel slides on the forearm. And I am also Impressed with the gold trigger.( What gold trigger ).

[:0][:0][:0]
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Well, it is a "Standard Twelve" - not a "Light Twelve", thus no gold-plated trigger. S/N is 3Mxxxxx and the wood and steel are far from NIB and is probably more like a 90-95 gun - $550.00 to $650.00 in these parts - the modified choke and VR are plusses. JMHO
  • Options
    cacti25cacti25 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my area, S.E. Mo., wouldn't be surprised if it brought the $1100.00 or more.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen better ones in the used racks in the last year.$600-$700 ; maybe $75 for box and papers.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone: Not that I'm a Browning expert, but the box looks wrong for 1963. The molded styrofoam insert, I don't buy that for a 1963 gun box.

The gun may or may not be unfired, but it's definately been assembled and cleaned over the last 40 plus years. I would want to see a picture of the bolt face to see if a "primer ring" is present.

The problem with a lot of sellers today is they weren't around 40 plus years ago when these guns were being made, and have never studied what factory boxes and paper work for a particular era might be.

All I can say "buyer beware"!!

Regards to all!

Dave
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    I certainly mean no disparagement regarding this GB seller or his wares. As to his other lots I would be particularly interested in his 30-06 BAR if he were near me. Personally, I think its a better buy than the A-5 - I'd like to have that one. JMHO
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    box is correct circa for browning 63. they switched from tan, light blue and black boxes with multi colored end tags and cardboard insert/dividers around 60/61.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.