In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

amt backup

riverrattriverratt Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
I'm looking at an amt backup 380 pistol but I'm a little confused. One is double action only and the other is single action. Are they both semi automatic or do you have manualy cock the single action? I hope someone can explain how they function.
Thanks, Tom.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    my brother recently got his hands on a 45. amt backup double action. Its in mint condition,but he is having one problem,JAMMING. could this be due to the 230 grain ammo he is using? NEED HELP.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how are the .380 amt backups in comparison to say a walther ppks or a keltec??? saw 1 at a gunshow today and passed it up cuz ive never heard of amt...but it was $250 lnib and i may go back tomorrow...if its still there
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so apparently high standard started making them at some point, anyone know if the high standard ones are better?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any idea how to field strip an AMT Backup. I acquired 2 of them. 1 has an external safety on the left side of the frame the other does not have a safety and appears to be double action only on the trigger pull

Many thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are both semiautomatic, concealed hammer, pistols that have to have a cartridge chambered by slide actuation, for the first shot to be fired.

The earlier version Backup, had relatively light single action trigger pulls. The late Backups were redesigned internally to provide for a much heavier double action type trigger pull. This was done as a safety feature.

I owned ( 2 ) backups in the past, while they were still in production. Both had reliability/functioning problems. As AMT has been out of business for years and the Backups have been long out of production. If your buying a Backup for self-defense/protection, run at least a couple of boxes of ammo through it, to make sure its reliable. My 2?.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also had one. Had nothing but problems with it. Best I could do was about 4 in a row without a jam. got rid of it. Very disappointed.
  • Options
    stuartstuart Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rather have 1 P3At @$239.00 than 2 free AMT's...personal experience...sorry, just my opinion.....everybody has one,right?
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was a unreliable as well. Lots of nice running 380's out there, pick something else.
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked my 2 D/As much better than my 2 S/As. Do a "search" for more information. There are others who like them and have found them reliable. Stainless/very small for .380. Best< Robert[;)]
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used 2 45 ACP Back Ups - 1st one didn't work well, the current one is excellent. Tough to stay in business with 50/50 failure rate. I heard another version of the 45 Back Up is in the works - maybe someone else has more specific info on that.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a double action that was fairly reliable but hard to shoot good. I also had a single action that shot very well but did jam often. I polished the throat and it helped a lot. But it still jammed.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,

I have one of the .380 double action only AMT's and have had it for years. I carry it as a back-up while one duty. I have never had it fail to fire or function even after being carried in an ankle rig and being exposed to being submerged in water several times as well as dust and dirt. I have been on the range when one of the other Officers had a 4 or 5 hundred dollar colt .380 and could not get it to function and my $219.00 plus tax AMT ran like a deer. I like mine.

Bode
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    basically trash

i preached this to a friend once, and he assured me that the grip safety makes the difference on internal hammer guns, and once when he was holstering it, he pushed in on it, and BAM! right through the cheek of his *, and into his ankle