In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 Cal. blue tips

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I thought that the blue tips rounds were frag. they even looked like a different type metal.Today i found some pulled bullets with blue tips that look a lot like AP from the base and jacket. What might these be ?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys, The bullets just look different from the old WWII box of loaded i have,they look like they were cast with a spider webbing look.These look like a reg. bullet with a small copper cap over the core.What color were the frag. or was it a frag. incendiary combination ? Because the pulled bullets have a regular looking jacket would they maybe be for aircraft ? ( i know most aircraft had 50s )Unless the metal jacket was very thin where it would splatter or breakup very easy it dont sound much different from tracer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys, The bullets just look different from the old WWII box of loaded i have,they look like they were cast with a spider webbing look.These look like a reg. bullet with a small copper cap over the core.What color were the frag. or was it a frag. incendiary combination ? Because the pulled bullets have a regular looking jacket would they maybe be for aircraft ? ( i know most aircraft had 50s )Unless the metal jacket was very thin where it would splatter or breakup very easy it dont sound much different from tracer. Thanks
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michael, My Army ammunition data sheets dont show any .30 cal ammo with blue tips. .50 BMG is made with blue tips and its incendiary.

.30 incendiary should have silver or aluminum color tips. Are your rounds 30-06 or .303 british? The British used .303 british guns in aircraft during WWII.

There is no such thing as .30 cal "frag" ammo. You may be thinking of API "armor piercing incendiary" as it has an explosive effect or targets.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    30 06 from ww2 had green/white tips and were frangible i have a bunch of these they were for training on live fire..you might have some italian incinderary they had a bullet with holes
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    API, armor piercing incendiary.
    They were fun to shoot at a distant hard faced target. Hits could be spotted at 500 yards or so by the flash.