In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.327 magnum ,What do you think?

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've been looking at the .327 magnum revolver made by Charter Arms as a carry piece for the little lady. I've read the recoil is greatly reduced from the .357 mag while not suffering much loss in stopping/knockdown power.
My biggest concern is right now is ammo availability. I know this chambering will take .32 H&R magnum, .32 S&W long, and .327 magnum. Problem is, I'm not familiar with any of these calibers and they seem to be somewhat scarce on the sporting goods store shelves. If I buy one of these, am I going to end up with something I'll need to reload myself?
I'd appreciate your opinions.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG is that the muzzle blast from a short barrel snubie in .327, is going to be beyond ugly. This is over and above the problem with the availability, of ammo.

Charter, Taurus, Ruger etc. all sell good quality .38/.357 revolvers, get her one of those. Start her off with the .38 Special 157 grain H P FBI loads. If she can handle them with no problem, graduate to the 125 .357 H P's.
  • Options
    MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Taurus model 605 titanium 5-shot chambered in .357 mag.
    Too much bark for her!
    I like it.

NRA Patron Life Member
    Dormant U.S. Marine
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The future of the .327 magnum is uncertain but for now you shouldn't have much difficulty finding ammo. Buy a few boxes and put them away if you are concerned. Your corner gun shop may not carry it but many of the on-line sellers (Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc.) carry the .327 mag, .32 mag, and .32 S&W long. I believe Federal is the only manufacturer of .327. Meister makes several loadings of what they call "low recoil" ammo in .32 mag which should be great practice fodder.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Been shooting 32 long in my Ruger.Very nice shooting gun.I haven`t shot any 327 mag in it yet as I haven`t seen any locally,but I have seen it over on the auction side. Been thinking about buying some.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mgderf
    I've been looking at the .327 magnum revolver made by Charter Arms as a carry piece for the little lady. I've read the recoil is greatly reduced from the .357 mag while not suffering much loss in stopping/knockdown power.

That claim is always made, but its a physical impossibility.

Ballistically, the .327 magnum is just slightly above the 9mm+P in terms of weight and velocity of the round, with the difference being that 9mm+P rounds punch a bigger hole, and are cheaper and easier to find. Ballistically, its also roughly comparable to the .30 carbine round *from a pistol*.

Unless you already have some attachment to the .32 caliber (eg you like to reload for it, or own other guns in that caliber), the only advantage I see to this round is that you can shove one more of them in the cylinder of a small revolver.

For me, that's not worth the hassle of more expensive harder to find ammo, and the realistic possibility that this round won't catch on.

If recoil is an issue with .357 magnums, you can try for .38+P rounds, or even lightly loaded .357 magnum rounds.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sometimes I think the ammo & gun makers get together and say "hey it's time for something new--who cares if it takes off or not as it will increase sales." Sometimes it works for them (.460 & .500 magnums) and sometimes it falls flat on it's butt(9mm Federal & 9mm Winchester Magnum). I am sure alot of people never expected the .38 special to be the hit that it was in 1899 either but it has lasted. The .327 is so new nobody knows for sure if it will last--my .02 cents would be wait 6 months til there are some more reviews by the various gun magazines and ask gun dealers if they are selling--that might give you some indication if it will be around--of course you would always have 3 other cartridges to fire in it although I dunno anyone who shoots .32 S&W anymore--.32 Long & the H&R mag they do.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a 4-6" barrel and target sights it would be a nice, flat shooting, woods gun. With the longer barrel, it would equal the 32-20 high speed load and the 7.62x25 autopistol and SMG loads.
    If you're a handloader, these straight cases are easy and economical to load. The 32 S&W long is a good target cartridge.
    Muzzle blast of these fast 30 caliber bullets from pistols is seriously loud.
    For self defense, since one isn't likely to be wearing ear protection,
    the blast might affect accurate shooting.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do believe this topic has been poked from every angle.

I read the 327 mag article in American Rifleman...last thought I gave it.

Snubbies and 'special' or 'long' loads are good mates.
    If you want to buy a snubby with more punch, go more bore, not more powder.

Lastly, I buy my wife what she wants...then she changes her mind.
    Oh what I do to keep that woman happy [:D]
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I've seen alot of super-duper new fangled loads come and go over the years. Hot as heck w/high pricetags for awhile. Few years later you see them gathering dust at Gun/pawnshops because no one wants them because they can't find ammo. I'd stick w/the tried & tue until I was certain it's going to last.