In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Manufacturer info removal

PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
A poster on another board had an interesting question.
Is it legal to remove the manucturer's info from the frame of a firearm?

As we all know it is illegal to remove the serial number(s) from a firearm. But what about the maker/importer's name and local info?
He's doing a custome jub on his own gun and doesn't want the maker's mark on it anymore.[?]

Comments

• Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he's done a "custome jub" on his rifle - and wants to put his own markings on it - good to go - just can't re serial without getting BATFE approval. I'm not quite sure about the legality or ethical issues involved with removing importers markings, which are required to be placed on the firearm by law. I'm pretty sure, it is unlawful to remove the importers stampings, although thousands of people do it - that doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    If it is an import it must be stamped with the name of the importer!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's how I understood the posting of the statute of Manf./Importers having to mark the firearm w/serial Numbers and their business name/addy. The statute is just vague on the legality of the removal of the Business name/addy.
    I've e-mailed an uncle in another state that is a lawyer (corporate) after making a post here and he's yet to answer me. Of course he's been at home recovering from quad-bypass earlier this year.

man,did I miss my spell check that nite
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PTHEIM,
    LOL - I'm just glad to see there are others out there that ocassionally lose their ability to spell.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you check Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4), page 11, you will see that the only markings that are unlawful to remove are the importer's or manufacturer's serial number.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update -
    It looks like after a bit of lack of info that other poster has decided for now to leave the manufactures marks on the firearm, for now. We tried.
  • Options
    jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only since '85 has an importer's name stamp been required on firearms, and even then, only on former military arms. Removing
    manufacturing data is "iffy" from an ethical and a legal point of
    view. You also need to check state laws of fraud and obfuscation.
    Many military arms contain no directly accessible maker's name,
    and that is not an unlawful condition. However, removing one which is already there raises other questions. ATFE may or may not
    have the salient point of view; they tend to always take that position which gives them the most discretionary power, whether
    valid or not. I find nothing specific in my copies of laws & regulations, albeit AGAIN, changing such embellishment is CLEARLY
    unlawful...but obscuring or removing..that is not so clear.