In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 55

ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi again,a friend of mind has a Winchester model 55 single shot 22,it loads from the top and ejects from the bottom.The rifle is in 85% condition.What is this rifle worth and what would be a fair price to offer?Thanks baba1

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know the reasoning behind making this rifle? A single shot semi-auto? Have a fine example for sale @ http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=553499969
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 55. This rifle is a .22 top load that ejects the shell out the bottom. Does anyone know the value of this rifle and how many were made? I've looked all over on this rifle and it has no serial or patent numbers. It's condition is about 80%
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What I can find, it says flat shotgun butt only. I'm looking at a picture, it looks like a cresent butt. No serial number to date it. Does anyone know if it was made with a cresent butt?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My uncle recently passed away and today I was asked to invertory his gun collection. The only one that I could not come up with a price for was a Winchester model 55. Its marked model 55-Winchester-Nickel Steel-30W.C.F.. The ser # is 1006. My Ned Schwing collectors price & reference guide puts the date at 1925 and shows 20,580 made. Any idea on the value? TIA.
    George.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean the Winchester Mdl 55 .22 "auto" rifle? Photo is gun trader's guide shows a flat butt. Made 1958-1960.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, no the lever action like the 94, made 1924 to 1932 if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello ochoco,

The Model 55 was introduced in 1924, and I believe that it was offered with a crescent butt (I will check my references to be sure though).

As for the serial number, the early guns were in their numbered in their own sequence, then in 1929, they were serial numbered in the Model 94 sequence. The serial number should be on the forward bottom edge of the receiver frame (just like the Model 94).
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have a model 55 with the standard butt plate. It's my understanding that only a little more than 25,000 were manufactured in the model 55 designation.
    W.D.
  • Options
    schintzieschintzie Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello ochoco,

The model 55 came standard with a shotgun butt plate made of steel with horizontal grooves in the center. This was also used on model 94's of this period, and they are known as the "model 55 style butt plate". I have never heard of or seen a model 55 with a crescent butt plate, but that does not mean Winchester never made one. However, since, there are no factory letters available for the model 55, it might be difficult to prove that it was shipped that way from the factory.