In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tula Ammo

bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Anybody tried any of the Tula ammo in 223 caliber?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any information on muzzle velocity and effective range of the Tula Ammo .223 75 grain hollow point out of a 20-inch
    barrel Bushmaster H-Bar?

I don't want to invest in a case or two of this stuff until I get some opinions on it. I live in a rural area so penetrating neighbor's walls isn't a factor..

I know Tula has been around for a long time but I have very little info on their current products.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone used this ammo in 7.62x39 because it is all I can find for my ak . Is it steel cased ?
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 2700 FPS.

One of the least accurate 223 loads ever (3-5" groups).

I have no idea what you mean by "effective range".

CP
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its Russian steel case ammo. The question is, what do you intend to shoot with it?

Cheap, but like the rest of the Russian steel case stuff, I wouldn't expect too much in the way of accuracy.

I also wouldn't expect too much performance out of the hollow points. They probably won't expand, and if you want to use these for hunting, I'd definitely choose something else.

Lastly, some people have problems with brass rounds sticking in AR-15 chambers after using a lot of steel case ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks - I bought 100 rounds of it because it was cheap and it was the only 'hollow-point' the gun show vendor had. We have a lot of freaked-out pill heads around here and a laser dot coming off of a Bushmaster should get their undivided attention. They will steal anything - even from family members.

As to "effective range" I meant maximum range I can reasonably expect to hit a man-size target. My first GOOGLE search on Tula had a lot of history but not much on their ammo, but I am not through yet.

I used to shoot a lot of 7.62x39 but I noticed it's accuracy at 200 yards was nowhere near the military .223, and I was using what I think was called an NHM-91; a longer-barrelled version of the AK that came with a bi-pod(low-grade) as a set that I bought just before the gun ban set in. I think SKS's were going for $76.00 at that Baltimore show that weekend. I think the full-auto version of this NHM-91 weapon was an RPK-90. I have seen them in movies with magazine-fed and belt-fed versions.

I shot at a piece of yellow legal-size paper with a bulls - eye on it at 200 yards using Soviet military rounds from a table rest. Mediocre results - not all the rounds hit the legal paper.

I then used an AR-15 that belonged to a friend of mine - cut up the bulls-eye big time. No comparison as to accuracy. Standard open sights on both weapons. The Soviet gun fit me more comfortably in a physical sense, but the accuracy wasn't even in the same ball-park.

Back to the better-quality ammo stuff for the Bushmaster; I'll use the el-cheapo as training ammo with my single-shot Handi-Rifle to teach my young cousins.

By the way, Beantownshootah, this question originally mentioned you by name requesting a response because I have seen you answer so many questions on this forum that I wish I had even a good start on the reference materials and experience with stuff that you must have.
    I didn't finish it as it was about 0400 hours, so I decided to try again later on. I'd like to sit down with you over a good meal and talk guns one day, but it is a long way from the Kentucky mountains near the Cumberland Gap to Bean Town. So, that probably won't happen........

The only time I have ever been up that way was around 1997 when the state sent me to the Smith & Wesson Armorer's School in Springfield.
    The Springfield Armory was a great tour.......

I have not used steel-case ammo before, but I know the Soviets turn out a lot of it. It is not going through my new Bushmaster, and I thank you for that information. And thanks to anyone else who has responded or will respond to this question.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm all for economical ammo but I sure wouldn't use Tula as my personal defense ammo. The steel case European ammo of several calibers I've tested had very poor terminal performance.Sure, you can shoot the stuff for practice but clean your rifle thoroughly afterward to get the crud out and spring for some decent ammo for personal safety use.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever hear of the saying that you get what you pay for? This especially holds true with firearms, ammunition and optics.

I suspect that the Russians are loading it to tout it as their version of match ammo, to try to cater to the 1 in 7, 8, or 9 twists of todays rifles. Expect it to go bang, have mediocre accuracy at best, and be very dirty. Don't expect it to be like the Black Hills Match, or Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.

Also, just because it is hollowpoint type, don't expect it to have spectacular effects on your pill popping zombies. Most hollowpoint match ammo will not expand.

Best
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Mobuck said, use it to plink/practice with. I do, and I get the results that I expect with cheap ammo, bang, not great accuray.

For defense I load my .223's currently with Federal match with the 68 gr Sierra HP bullet. However, after comparing these side by side with a new Winchester bonded 64 grain round(through wallboard, glass and "car door" steel and into gel), when the Win. bonded become available in quantity I'm using them.
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot a Kel-Tec P11 with Tula ammo. This P11 model proved more reliable than a popular more expensive striker-fire design because the rounds would frequently misfire and you can just pull the trigger again to get it to fire. In my opinion, I'd never use any Russian made ammo again. I was shooting Wolf .223 ammo in a AR15 and thank God I was paying attention during the mag loading to find one round had the primer cup reversed. I showed the range attendant. My point is, if the ammo costs you your eye and gun, who are you going to sue? Statements like, not responsible for any injury or loss of life or damages what so ever don't apply to American manufactured products. So you can sue an American Ammo company.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 511pe
    Shot a Kel-Tec P11 with Tula ammo. This P11 model proved more reliable than a popular more expensive striker-fire design because the rounds would frequently misfire and you can just pull the trigger again to get it to fire. In my opinion, I'd never use any Russian made ammo again. I was shooting Wolf .223 ammo in a AR15 and thank God I was paying attention during the mag loading to find one round had the primer cup reversed. I showed the range attendant. My point is, if the ammo costs you your eye and gun, who are you going to sue? Statements like, not responsible for any injury or loss of life or damages what so ever don't apply to American manufactured products. So you can sue an American Ammo company.

Wolf is a US importer.

CP