In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stack-On gun cabinet

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
ok long story short my ex-wife thought it would be funny and make false report to CPS (no problem on my part) however that being said the guy that came to the house damn near fliped out when i unlocked my bedroom door and seem all my guns. So now i must buy a cabinet sooner than i wanted to. I was planning on buying a liberty/ or compariable safe at tax time.

only reason for buying the stack on is $$ till tax time.

so my questons are how are the following safes/cabinets

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets/products/63

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3599268

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Ultra-MidBody-40Gun-FireResistant-Safe/product/10213074/125588

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The Stack-On is basically just a metal locker with a lock added to the door. At 150# you will need to bolt it to the floor or at the very least to the wall in order to prevent a couple of guys from attempting to simply drag it out the door. The Stack-On is better than nothing but not very secure from theft and offers no protection from fire. The other two are actual gun safes and would offer far more security.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your problem is your ex! She blabbed to the cops, who else you figure she could have run her mouth to. I would get a quality safe now, otherwise you might not still have your toys by the time you get your tax refund. Those stack-on sheet metal cabinets are only good for keeping honest people and kids from your guns, no great challenge to a crook.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yea i uderstand the short comings of the stack on. that being said bolting to the floor is not a problem. And yes ex-wife is the problem she called florida cps and told them i hit my son in the face. Which i did not, i would never hit him in the face, belt to * if needed yes. But in order for CPS not to keep bothering me over the guns is to "lock" them up. so for now the stack-on will have to do.

on a side note anyone from Florida know if a LOCKED bedroom door is not enough protection in CPS eyes for "kids"? seems that should not have the right to tell me to lock them in a safe. I understad what i have read that as long as the child cannot have access to the firearms that is enough. Though it is not from theft, i know this just wondering for law purpose.
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Harbor Freight crowbar will open a StackON or a Hobart cabinet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well again I the purpose of this thread is not Theft. It is for locking up to comply with CPS i was just wondering if it is good for the money. Reason for not being a theft issue is SOMEONE is ALLWAYS home and i live in a high police area that are very nosy.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Okay; you are clearly not at all concerned about theft, fire or security and just want to keep your * out of a sling. Contact Child Protective Services, ask what is the absolute minimum standard for firearms that they will accept and simply go with that. If they will accept the Stack-On then your problem is solved for a minimum of money but if they insist on having a real gun safe to keep the guns way from the brats then get ready to pony out additional cash.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Okay; you are clearly not at all concerned about theft, fire or security and just want to keep your * out of a sling. Contact Child Protective Services, ask what is the absolute minimum standard for firearms that they will accept and simply go with that. If they will accept the Stack-On then your problem is solved for a minimum of money but if they insist on having a real gun safe to keep the guns way from the brats then get ready to pony out additional cash.

yes for time being as stated. I was already planning on buying a REAL gun safe in feb/march. I just need something to get by till then. However still would like feed back on a Quality safe for fire, theft, and what not for 1500$ or there about. has to be aleast 18+ guns and would also like some storage for ammo, ammo cans and small stuff,
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to find all the information you need about safes by doing a SEARCH on this forum for the word "safe".

I don't know any jurisdiction that specifically requires a safe to provide protection for your children from guns. Most leave it to the judgement of the inspecting agency. When I do a home child safety inspection, the least that I accept for knives, guns, arrows, etc, is a closet with a dead bolt or spring latch lock; it's too easy to get into a bedroom, especially at ground level.

You don't want to store ammo in your gun safe (combustibles + confined space + heat source = unpleasant explosion). If you buy a Stack On now for your guns, you can use it for your ammo after you buy your real safe.

Neal
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.stack-on.com/categories/stack-on-safes/products/245

if you're going to look at the stack on brand, stick with actual safes, not metal lockers. I got this one at dicks sporting goods for about $800 and it's a great safe. I have zero complaints. You may have to look around to locate one (or one like it) in your area.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    How about a Locking PICK-UP truck box that will set on the floor. They are built fairly heavy then when you get your safe you can sell the box to a friend with a truck . These things hold more then the same size upright cabinet just put each long gun in a cheap case. and pistols in a RUG.