In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

frommer stop baby

cruzanscruzans Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know of a gunsmith or Frommer enthusiast on line or in PA? I have a neat little Frommer Stop Baby that is in great shape, and fires fine - but will not chamber the next round, I have to manually rack the slide every time. I had my gunsmith play around with it, he took it apart, but can't seem to find the problem.
Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Just offhand, I would say replace the recoil spring with a new spring.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned and worked on them years back. The mechanism is a plumbers nightmare. It's what called "Long Recoil", similar to the Browning Auto 5 shotgun and Remington Model 8 rifle.

The breach block and barrel are locked together when the cartridge is fired. They recoil together the whole length of of the cartridge. The breach block is then caught at a point behind the magazine. The barrel then goes forward, when it reaches it's fully forwarded position. The breach block is unlatched going forward into battery striping the next cartridge from the magazine.

Either the ammo your using isn't hot enough. Or the lugs on the breach block aren't disengaging from the barrel. Or the breach block isn't being caught in the rear position as the barrel goes forward. Good Luck! All the ones I worked on worked except the last one which was missing the ejector and ejector spring. You might check if this is the problem with yours.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use Sellior and bellot (sp) if that doesnt work it is mechanical problem. Trust me on that one.[:)]
  • Options
    cruzanscruzans Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all - great info.. I forwarded comments onto my gun guy to see if it helps. Wish I could find some 7.65 frommer ammo to try :)
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a number of pre WWII pistols most of which spent a long time in storage.I would also give it a really good cleaning. S&B ammo works well in all of the guns.