In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sako A7 .300 WM Magazine Issue

minnfinnminnfinn Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have Sako A7 .300 WM. Ever since I bought it, I've had problems with the cartridges prematurely popping out of the mag will laying untouched, while locking the mag into the rifle and when cycling spent/new cartridge through the action. I previously contacted Sako/Beretta support about this problem and they sent me a new factory magazine. The same symptoms persist even with the new mag. At this time, I can't trust this Sako rifle/magazine to hunt with (elk). I've had the same thing happen in while hunting. So, it's a serious dependability problem. (link to a youtube video I made to demo the problem.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPnNMmsIsgg
I have another Sako A7 .270 Win and 2 Tikka rifles (.30-06 and .300 WM) that never has problem like this.
I have to think the .300 WM magazine is underdesigned (e.g. too thin/flexible mag walls for the pressure of the spring/.300 WM cartridge.) What can be done to resolve this problem, besides waiting for aftermarket all steel heavier gauge mag to replace?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no other choice than to get rid of it. The Tikka T-3 is a better rifle, and basically that is what SAKO was trying to mimmic.

Best

EDIT 1

In otherwords, SAKO was trying to make a SAKO brand name rifle to compete with its sister company Tikka's T-3. By doing so, they cheapened up the feeding device too much, and some other features(plastic bolt shroud?...come on fella's, this is supposed to be a SAKO) too. I never liked the A7 since its inception, and still think the 75 was a better model than the 85 too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll give Beretta/Sako a chance to make it right somehow. I think that if they'd offer a more standard steel mag similar to their 75 or 85 models for A7, it would fix the problem for me and some others I've read with the same problem. Otherwise, I do like the rifle. However, in it's current mag configuration, for larger caliber cartridges at least, I think they have a weak point in this model/system.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read on another forum of a fella having this same issue. He simply bent the little metal 'ears' in just a bit. This gave them a better grip on the cartridge in the magazine and seemed to fix the problem. If you try this don't try to move them alot, a couple thousandths of an inch might be all it takes to cure the problem.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sako and Tikka are excellent rifles. I have a SAKOM995 in .300WM and IMHO, Sako is a better rifle than Tikka even though owned by the same company.

The A7 comes in between these two models with an interesting blend of features from both the Tikka T3 and the Sako 85. The A7 has a magazine that is similar to the Tikka in that it is plastic, but it has metal reinforced feed lips. In addition the A7 magazine also uses what Sako is calling a "Total-Control Magazine" release latch. In other words, the magazine must be pressed inward toward the action, while hitting the release latch in order to remove the mag. This feature is borrowed from the Sako 85 and helps to prevent accidentally bumping the latch under recoil of fire and thus losing the mag. (http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review)

I too agree that the magazine needs to be replaced. Have you tried contacting Sako/Beretta for possible warranty repair/replacement?

Good luck.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here this is all i could find on the sako site i am a memeber of

{Elsewhere}
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX
    Sako and Tikka are excellent rifles. I have a SAKOM995 in .300WM and IMHO, Sako is a better rifle than Tikka even though owned by the same company... Have you tried contacting Sako/Beretta for possible warranty repair/replacement?

I agree. I think both Sako and Tikka (T3) overall are outstanding, very accurate rifles. I own several of each. I did earlier this year contact Beretta/Sako about this problem. They sent a new replacement mag for my .300WM, the only one with this issue. However, I still experience the same. I've opened another ticket with Sako to see if they can do something else to resolve.
    It may well be that bending in the top mag rails in slight might "fix" the problem. However, that would be a last resort for me. Once I do any modification to factory spec, I own the problem completely. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please read the Posting Guidelines.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think the suggestion on that other blog post you referred to about taking to a trained/certified gunsmith to diagnose/fix will be my next step, if Beretta/Sako isn't able to resolve. I do think it's important for me to work with them so they hear about issues and can resolve to continue to improve even more their overall outstanding products.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in

Good point! I'll do that. I genuinely want to continue to own and use this rifle for my elk hunting. For this year, I may be switching back to my Tikka T3 .300WM, which has been a very solid, reliable rifle for this purpose over the years.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Point by the Moderator is well taken....
    I'm honestly looking for assistance on a question with a rifle that's all. I think I've gotten that. Thanks to all who replied.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just received the following message from Beretta Support after just submitting the question/ticket with them online this past Sat.

"A replacement magazine will be sent out, order# xxxxx ... the magazines have been fixed.
    Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support..."

I take from this that Beretta/Sako acknowledge from prior customer contacts they've taken positive actions to resolve the problem with some A7 mags.
    I think this speaks well of their companies both quick response and taking steps to fix issues. I'm hopeful this will permanently resolve my Sako A7 mag issue. [:)]
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent! Hopefully, this time it's resolved. Good luck!