In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spotting Scopes?

N8WillN8Will Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Im looking for feed back on scopes in the $300 to $600 price range. Ive been looking real hard at the Nikon 16-48.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check on the various bird watching forums...
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ever you buy be sure you have a VERY stable base, a good wobbly scope will drive you crazy. I like Al Freeland bases myself.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A year or so back I picked up a 4.5x15x60 Burris landmark spotting scope for about $100 and have been very pleased with it. Then again with my older eyes the higher end optics are just wasted on me. What sort of shooting are you planning that you want such a highend power setting? Long range small varmint? 1000yd?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a 100 dollar Burris and can see 30 caliber holes at 200 years with it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A time warp spotter could be handy bpost.[:p]

In optics you get what you pay for, you would be better served to save a little longer. That said, you really need to get to a place with a bunch of scopes and look through them. Then buy on the net if you can find it cheaper (likely!). I like Nikon cameras, not so much their scopes. Take a look at Leupold, and check Eagleoptics.com.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    Check on the various bird watching forums...

+1, those guys know there stuff and are very picky.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "...and can see 30 caliber holes at 200 years with it."

This has to be an invention from Dr. Emmett Brown...

Buy the best you can afford and do as suggested, find a shop that has several versions and variations which you can compare when looking through them. Your eyes will tell you which one suits you best.

I suggest looking into a Kowa:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/kowa

And Vortex:

http://www.bearbasin.com/vortex-spotting-scopes.htm

Best.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i have an "old" maybe 60+ y.o. B&L scope with three eyepiece turret 20X, 30X & 40X, i have yet to find a scope of equal quality under $1,000.00, if i were to buy a new spotting scope today i would choose this one,

razors.jpg

$1,600.00 will put it in your bag.