In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester M-12 .410???

VGUN1VGUN1 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
About 15 years ago, I saw two of these. Where the serial number goes they were marked EXP 2 EXP 3. One had a heavy barrel; can`t remember for sure about the other one. I know where two of them are and they are for sale. Real or Fake and how would you prove it? "Thanks" Danny

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert, and I'm sure Burt will correct me, but I allways thought winchester never made a m-12 410. the model 42 was their model 12 per say, as the model 42 wasn't made in any other gauge but 410, and is basically a scaled down model 12.

vgun are they marked model 12?? while I have that gut feeling of scam, they may be experimental makeups.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hillbille has it right, the Model 42 filled the niche in the Winchester pump gun family. I would guess that it would be too costly to make a separate receiver for just that round in the M-12.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy from Edwardsville Illinois who is at several St. Louis gun shows has a Model 12 with a .410 Barrel. No documentation and he does not make any claims as to what it is. I am thinking custom barrel of some sort but is Winchester marked as I recall.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not aware of any Model 12 in .410 bore. Frankly, I very much doubt that the guns in question are authentic.

As previously mentioned, the Model 42 was Winchester's .410 bore slide-action shotgun. It was introduced in January of 1933, and it remained in production through 1962, with parts clean-up in 1963.
  • Options
    ALFONSEALFONSE Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen 2 in Springfield, Mo. at a gun show walking around and another in Lebanon, Mo.. There was a gunsmith in the Jefferson City? area that had made some. I talked with his son and saw some of the barrels in progress and the roll stamp he was using. The guns were marked Winchester M-12 .410. The gunsmith is deceased, and the son was selling off the parts. That unfortunately was the only time I ever saw the son and I never got his name. Al
    Visit our web store for new, used, and reproduction gun parts: https://gungaragestore.com/
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sounds like a good explaination. The guy who had the one I had seen never did claim it was for real. The roll stamp explains why it looked like it could have been real.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Good fakes bring good money, unfortunatly.