In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Burnside 5th Model Saddle Ring Carbine Q's

deltalynxramdeltalynxram Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hello Everyone and thanks for taking time to give me a hand. I have been collecting guns for a while but have never ventured into the area of "Civil War" period weapons untyil a few days ago when I ran into someone needing some cash and offeringtwo really OLD looking guns for sale. They looked hella cool and I couls tell they were plenty old so I negotiated a price of 550 for both and hurried home to research what I had bought. TYurns out the first one is a Real Confirmed 1873 Springfield Trap door Carbine all original numbers matching rifle. The second wasn't so easy and took it to a few places and finally found someone who knew what it is, It is a Burnside 5th model Saddle Ring Calvary Gun. So Im Looking for any help or info on a burnside. With the side screw I believe it to be a 5th model calvary carbine because of the saddle ring and bar, all numbers match on barrel frame breach and inside. The serial # is 1,940. with the exception of one screw being replaced it is in remarkable condition and has a fine brownish silver patina and the components are tight and well fitting and functional. the bore is shiny and bright. I am intrested in any history that may be associated with this particular serial number as well as a ball park value. Thank you GRANT Plenty of pics here http://photobucket.com/burnsidesaddlering

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might obtain a copy of "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms". It considered the reference bible by U.S. arms collectors. Obviously it references the various different Burnside models. Also it lists a book specifically written about the Burnside's, "Burnside Breech loading Carbines", by Edward Hull.

At this late date, not likely your going to be able to trace the serial number, as far as which unit it was issued to, unless theirs information regarding it in Hull's book.

The 9th Edition of Flayderman's Guide is about 3 years old now, but he values the 5th Model Burnside depending on condition, from $950 to $3,250. Seems you did quite well on your purchase of the Springfield and the Burnside.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I would like to see pics of the trapdoor carbine. Please post a link.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean $550 for both together or $550 for each ?

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Do you mean $550 for both together or $550 for each ?

Either way, you made out like a bandit!!!!
  • Options
    deltalynxramdeltalynxram Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I meant 550 for both. And ive never bought any old relics like this before this. But i have decided to start collecting these types of weapons what do you think I should go for next ?
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The next thing you should do is buy the latest edition of Flayderman-its in the 9th edition. Do not let it be like the set of encyclopedias your parents bought you. Actually read it. Then, you will want to start building a library of books about whatever kind of gun you choose to collect. This will actually save you one hell of a lot of money because it can and will keep you from getting took.
    As for guns, you might want to look into Civil War Carbines. There are more different kinds of these than any other type of firearm used in that war of Northern aggression. If space is a consideration, you might look into percussion Colt revolvers and their imitators. If you build up a decent collection of these and you buy wisely, that collection could easily fund your retirement.
    The prices of antique Colts over the last 30 years or so have appreciated better than any Wall Street investment.....but remember, in collecting like anything else, you get nothing from nothing. To be a successful gun collector, you have to build a library about them and study them. Without the study, you are just amassing a pile of old iron.
    Just my opinion.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I inherited a Burnside from my grandpa when he passed away in 1970, ii still have it in the back of my safe! Mine doesn't have the saddle ring and bar, not sure if it was removed, or if they ever made them without.
    The guns were made by the Burnside Co. in Rhode Island, the owner of the company was General Burnside, and i thing they were made from 1858 to around 1870ish.
    If you look closely at the stock, you will see rectangular stampings with 3 initials in the box, those were the inspectors initials, they can be seen on mine, as my stock is still original and has never been messed with.