In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

value of old military rifles

rlfcjfrlfcjf Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
Have inherited a couple of old rifles from my uncle. One is stamped U.S. Model of 1917 Eddystone number 53868. The other is stamped U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1903 number 1268807. Have a flea market coming up and am wondering what I should price them at. Both appear to be in really great condition and from what I can tell are original. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got people at that flea market spending $500-$1000?
    1917 and 1903 rifles if original as issued and in NRA excellent condition (Is that what "really great" means?) are worth a good bit of money.
    I am sure that if you put up pictures somebody will guess a resale value.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want top dollar for them list them at www.gunbroker.com with clear pictures and an accurate description of condition; you will get a huge nationwide audience of willing buyers and receive top dollar for your heirlooms.

If I was in your shoes, I would keep them as they go up in value a lot more than the stock market does.

You will eventually regret selling them.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1903 was one out of about 3,000 manufactured in 1925, and if it has the original barrel, it should get a premium.

Condition is, obviously everything. Over the past 2 years, I've paid from $ 450.00 to $ 750.00 (IIRC) for 1917s The $ 750.00 was a Winchester, and the Eddystone (Remington) will not demand that much unless in pristine condition.

An interwar 1903, again if in 100% original condition is a real crap-shoot. Look at the auction side under completed auctions and find the rifle that is closest to yours in age and condition to get yourself into the price range you can expect to get.

Betty yet, list the 1903 on the auction side with a number of good photos. Set your minimum price at whatever you need to get for the rifle, do not set a reserve, and let the fun begin.

OTOH, I would make sure that I knew the history of any inherited rifle before selling. Make sure that there are no other family members that have or had an attachment to the rifle through the previous owner. If you sell something that is meaningful to someone, you will never forgive yourself.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me know where the flea market is[:)]

1903 Springfield No. 1268807 left the Armory as a National Match.