In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 686 round butt grips

coltnutzcoltnutz Member Posts: 206 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
I may be soon purchasing a S&W 686-5 snubby, round butt.

Question:

Are there factory wood grips available in target style that are made to fit a round butt? Any target grips I have seen seem to be all square butt.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    S&W has finger groove and there are stocks that make a round butt feel like a square [;)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltnutz
    Are there factory wood grips available in target style that are made to fit a round butt? Any target grips I have seen seem to be all square butt.

By definition the Smith "target" grips have a square butt external configuration. So you're not going to find any grips CALLED "target" that don't LOOK like square butt grips.

No, to the best of my knowledge Smith and Wesson does NOT offer round-butt ("conversion") style target grips for the K/L frame guns. These aren't listed for sale on its website, and I can't remember ever seeing one on a factory gun. (They do offer then for N-frame guns, but that's a different question).

On the other hand, there are PLENTY of aftermarket grip makers who sell this very thing, in a variety of wood types, etc. You should have no problem finding a set, if you like.

For example, Ahrends makes beautiful wood grips for K-frame round butts in a variety of configurations:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/grips-ahrends-grips-s-w-k-l-frame-grips/

This company offers a grip that I think is exactly what you are looking for. Not, its not an OEM Smith grip, but its a conversion grip with checkering and SW medallions that will make a round-butt Smith L frame look exactly like a K-frame with factory target grips (scroll down):

http://www.handgungrips.com/K__L_Frame_Round_Butt_=_Smith__Wesson/1901/c
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will definitely be a lot more pleasant to shoot with rubber grips like Pachmayr's:

SWM681NYSP.jpg

Neal