In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nikon Monarch--Binos

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
What is the general opinion of the above binos, in 10 x 42 ATB?

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not qualified to judge relative to more expensive binocs, but I have a pair and have been very pleased with them. Also read several favorable reviews as a mid-priced "birder/sporting" glass. Only problem I've had with mine is the system used to attach the objective lens covers. They tend to pop out of their anchor hole in time and are less secure with subsequently being popped back in.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw,

I do have a pair of those. They seem good in comparison to what other most frequented brands are offering. However, I think, they are a little on the frail side, as one of my eye cups twisted off, and will not stay properly adjusted out to the stop now. Nikon, is also a B**ch about their warranty. Make sure all your "I"'s are dotted, and "T"'s crossed, and hold your head and breath right. I used to use Nikon for a normal "affordable" brand, but have dropped them from my list, in favor of Burris, and Sightron.

However, anything I buy in glass these days, I usually save and scrimp a little more, and go high end. I just got a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x56, at $2300.00, and they are worth EVERY penny. Vortex makes great glass at an affordable price, as does Meopata. Leica, Swarovski, NightForce, all speak for themselves, once you use them. It is very addictive.

Check out eurooptic.com and you will not be disappointed. Great folks to tap for advice, and great to deal with..and they are a vender on the auction side too.

Best
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends upon what you plan to use them for. Had a pair which I sold cheap to a hunting partner. Decent glass, but nasty color fringing. I would constantly see red on birds with no red so they were useless for birding. As hunting binos they will be adequate.

Take a look at the Atlas binos at Eagle Optics.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nikon's warranty is excellent. I had a pair of 10x50 Actions that the eyecups broke, sent them back to Nikon and had a brand new pair of binos two weeks later. Never registered them or sent in the warranty card.
    I have a pair of Chinese made Monarchs, they are excellent glass for the money. I never thought I'd be satisfied with Chinese binos, but this pair is perfect for what I use them for. And they didn't break the bank!