In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kannoneer

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
In another post you mentioned buffing out a 22LR chamber. How? I was given an old Westernfield lever action rifle. Was able to fix the stock and iron out the dent from the firing pin, replaced the extractors and was left with a bad chamber (won't extract LRs) but will extract shorts. Local gunsmith just said shoot the shorts. Would really like to be able to shoot LRs.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can get at the chamber from the breech, burnish it. Take a .22 cal nylon bore brush, and wrap it with 0000 steel wool. Thread that into a tip section of cleaning rod, and chuck that in your drill. Soak the brush and bore with a light oil. Spin it as you work it in and out of the chamber. Won't hurt anything if it goes into the bore. About 5-10 minutes of that should slick it up.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I could reach the chamber from the breach. However, perhaps there's room for the brush in the receiver and feed the rod down the muzzle. Or just feed the brush & rod down the muzzle.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm curious, did you flow the metal back in place with a mandrel? If buffing the chamber doesn't work, I would consider a chamber insert or setting the barrel back some. Have you tried standard velocity long rifle shells for extraction.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Wish I could reach the chamber from the breach. However, perhaps there's room for the brush in the receiver and feed the rod down the muzzle. Or just feed the brush & rod down the muzzle.

I've had to do it like that, it works too.
    Same question Charlie asked, did you use a chamber iron on it?
    If you did, or used another method, check that you didn't peen the extractor slot cuts in the barrel breech face when you did. I've seen that happen before from taking out a firing pin ding. On a dual extractor, if only one is getting a bite on the rim, it'll yank a short, but not a LR.
    My best guess is, if it's extracting shorts, but not long rifle, the end of the chamber is fouled from shooting shorts. A burnish will fix that. It'll improve it if it isn't too.
    What model is it?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be nice to get a good look at the chamber. If it is just gunked up from shorts, you can get rid of that ring in the chamber from polishing with a bore brush with a patch on, and J-B bore cleaning compound, on the end of a cleaning rod, inserted from the muzzle...although I hate doing it like that. However, if the chamber is erroded from corrosive 22 short loads, then that is entirely different. You will need to install a barrel liner, to make good.

As is mentioned, make certain your extractor grooves are cut deep enough, and the extractors are SHARP. I have ran into that problem with some of the non 94-22 levers of Winchester, also. Seems that the extractors are somewhat soft, and need to be replaced or refurbished(read as sharpened), from time to time.

Best