In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finish Reamers for 9mm and 45 ACP

kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Howdy
I want to finish ream a couple chambers so I can shoot pointed lead bullets. These are longer than the round nose and are not chambering all the way because of hitting the end of the leade/throat.
Anybody got any info on where I could rent reamers that would lengthen the throat only and not screw with the rest of the chamber?
Doing a search on internet looks like a lot of $$$ for rental.
Thanks Pete/MS

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Dave Mason.
    He is the final word on reaming 9mm/45 chambers for long bullets.
    http://www.mansonreamers.com/
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the sites. Looks like it ain't cheap. I may be better off just loading shorter rounds....or round nose bullets.
    Thanks again
    Pete
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't know what 45 you are shooting . BUT there are more things to consider than just the Barrel . First when I see 9MM and 45 My thoughts go to 9MM LUGER and 45ACP. IF this is what you want to load and IF the
    PISTOL is a 1911 type pistol The loaded round must fit in the magazine
    That will limit OAL to 1.245 + or- a small amount Most factory Chambers are able to fully chamber a cartridge This length . However if you have a pistol with one in the chamber and want to unload The firearm JUST pulling the slide back will most likely Not allow the loaded round to clear the ejection port . Instead you will have to remove Magazine and then pull slide back part way and out from behind the extractor bump the still loaded round To let it fall out through the Msagazine well. [V] Yes I have seen 255 Grain bullets used but

they were just seated deeper in the case. Before trying for loads
    like this Reduce powder charge because Pressure will be higher.

EDIT Ok Heavier / Longer Wide Nose bullets CAN be loaded Below the MIN OAL but you have to be careful . Think about the GLOCK 45 GAP cartridge. This was an attempt to have a shorter cartridge OAL by reducing the length of the case. . IMHO the max /min OAL is in reloading manuals so the cartridge will Fit and function in Most pistols made for that cartridge.Again it has to be short enough to meet 3 spec. #1 fit in magazine #2 fully chamber #3 should be able to extract and eject a loaded round Of these Three #3 is not critical but is Desirable . The glock needed a shorter OAL the Problem with a short OAL in most Pistols is #1 they will not feed and chamber. and # 2 They develop Higher pressure as the bullet is seated deeper in the case. Before I would mess with the chamber/lead/bore of the barrel I would remove barrel and then Test my loaded round and change seating depth of that new to you special bullet until the test cartridge will fully seat in your barrel. I would reduce you powder charge about 20 % and then work up watching for pressure signs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Perry and thanks for more info.
    I'm hanging the bullet up in the leade. Have a 9mm and trying to shoot BRTNN (I think) but they are the cone shaped bullets. The min oal for the load has the length of the bullet sticking out far enough for the edges of it to grab the leade/throat.
    Cannot chamber..hangs up. These are reloads and lead bullets. I will just use another pistol to shoot these in and use round nosed in the pistol with the tight/short throat.
    I have heard a finish reamer will cure this problem. Don't think it's worth it for me to rent one. I got other bullets I can load.
    Thank You, Pete
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    You don't need a chambering reamer; you need a throating reamer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, that makes sense. I had been told a finishing reamer would touch up the throat. Thank you for the correct information on this. I reckon it would still cost a bunch to rent one since I really ain't got to shoot these type of bullets. I had thought it would be next to nothing to rent these tools. Little did I know ! I am gonna make note of this tool info and if something ever comes up I will know what I need. Thank you
    Pete