In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

redfield model 70 turret replacement

.22 L.R.22 L.R Member Posts: 189 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Redfield model 70 receiver peep sight that has the hunter (coin slot) style turret adjustments. I came across a redfield model 70 that just consisted of the slide section, but this one has the Target (finger adjustable) turrets on it. Does anyone know how you would go about changing the turrets out on these sights. I would prefer the have the target turrets on this particular rifle since their marked on the top which way is up & down as well as left & right versus the coin slot style which has nothing. I don't want to just disassemble one of these turrets and find a surprise waiting for me. I would think that if something goes wrong getting replacement parts would be difficult. If somebody has some detailed instructions on how to do it or suggestions on who to contact I would appreciate it. Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's simple, but touchy. (First, see if you can just swap the whole assembly with the one on your sight.) Loosening a single screw on each target knob will allow them to be lifted off their respective rods, BUT they are under tension from a pair of coil-spring loaded ball bearings that may pop out. Once the knobs are lifted off, the rods they ride on can be removed. The target knobs and their rods can then be switched with the coin-slotted ones on the other sight slide.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of those sights mounted on the left side of the receiver (Winchester Model 70, Remington 721, etc.) and some on the right side (Springfield 1903, Enfield 1917, 98 Mauser, etc.). If your new slide and your base are both lefts (or rights) just pull your existing slide and replace with the new one which is what richara posted. If not, your work is cut out for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't just swap out the slide assembly due to it being different widths. Believe me I was hoping it would be that easy. You said their under tension with ball bearings & "may pop out". Do you know what causes them to possibly pop out versus not. Does it make a difference in how fast or slow you remove them. Are there any tricks or techniques you can pass on to help lesson that possibility. You also said the rods they ride on can then be removed as well. Is this necessary or can they be left in place with the sight I want to install them on and just switch the turrets out themselves. I was thinking of trying to do this inside a large clear plastic bag just in case something goes wrong. One last thing if the springs and bearings do come out can they easily be inserted back in or are you SOL. Thank You.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought the slide pieces were interchangeable as long as they were orientated correctly as far as which side the adjustments were on. I thought the piece that actually attached to the rifle itself is what designated what it would fit. I found out the hard way that this is not the way it is. The two slide pieces i have are of different widths and even though they would interchange in the mounting piece that attaches to the rifle the wider one with the target turrets would not work or look correct. This is why I need to interchange the turrets if possible if not I either have to find the correct letter designated slide piece with the target turrets on it or live with it the way it is.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The springs/ball bearings are not held in by anything mechanical, but may be sufficiently gummed from age to stay put. The rods come in two lengths, because some coin-slotted knobs are shallow, and some Target knobs sit high. You tell what is right height by the (tiny) depression for the end of the set screw in the side of the rod portion sticking out of the slide vs. the placement of the set screw hole in the Target knob.

Disassembly in bag or box is good idea.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took the replacement slide apart which wasn't to bad. The turrets came off with some difficulty but finally came apart. I did notice on the "windage" side there appears to be a separate plate that's held on by 2 small screws. The small spring and bearing rest inside this part as well as the stud that the turret sits on. I hope this part wouldn't have to be removed since I wasn't able to remove the 2 small screws that attached it. You (richarda) said there were apparently different lengths of rods on these sights. When I compared the height of the hole in which the set screw that holds the turrets on the rod sits it appeared to be at the same height. Would you then think the rods would be the same lenghth and the need to interchange them unlikely. If this would be the case it doesn't appear then to be to difficult to just deal with the little bearing and spring and change out the turrets
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was able to change out the turrets today. Those are some tiny little parts to work with. At least its done and everything seems to be working fine.