In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand Gear ported gas screw

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
So obvisouly many of you probably know about the issues with the M1 Garand being damaged by firing ammunition that produces to much pressure in gas system (i.e. many types of commercial ammunition that have to heavy of a bullet or to slow of a burning powder that increase pressure).

Below is a link to a company that makes a ported (instead of a vented) gas screw that supposedly allows the Garand to fire all types of 30-06 without increasing pressure to damage levels but also still allows it to cycle properly. Have any of you ever tried this little device and what have been your results?

[url]
http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:shooting-commercial-ammunition-in-your-m1-garand&catid=39
[/url]

EDIT

For those of you who have a link that does not work try copy and pasting the entire thing. The reason I was looking primarly at this as opposed to the adjustable gas screws is that you dont have to keep resetting it every time you use a new load, you just install this puppy and you should be good. The CMP manual says my M1 is fine just the way it is up to loads of 180 grains for commercial ammunition. That didnt really seem to address the burn rate issue to me, but maybe its not as big a deal as I thought it was. Has anyone tried one of these actually? I have found very few reviews online of people who have actually used them with loads over 180 grains.

Comments

• Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I remember right they machine the end of the gas plug out until it will still work the action with standard loads and start testing to see how powerful a cartridge the rifle will fire with out it blowing up. There is probably a saner way to test a rifle but I think this is the idea of the plug.

Emmett
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Linkie no workie. But I made my own from an L-shaped peice of flat stock, with a rectangular hole in one leg that slipped over the bayonet lug, and a screw that was threaded through the other leg and went into the gas screw. Turning the screw opened the valve. I started with the valve all the way open with 220-grain ammunition, and then gradually closed it until the gun fully cycled. I took the idea from a grenade launcher. BTW, these things could be made for a buck apiece.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fulton Armory sells one with interchangeable jets for $45. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Neal
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The plug advertized above has no jets no adjustment you just screw it inn and it works.

Emmett
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just an update.....I got this thing and it works like a champ.... Works with any 30-06 load.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,423 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    Just an update.....I got this thing and it works like a champ.... Works with any 30-06 load.
    Good to know, glad it works well. I really can't see why somebody would want to shoot a 220 grain bullet in an M1, but if it exists, somebody will try it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have a Schuster, mainly so I could shoot slower powders... just for kicks. It works. Even with standard burn rates you can adjust them so they cycle the action and dump the brass at your feet.