In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Single Six-how to tell if Convertable or not

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a Single Six recently which only had the LR cylinder. Is there a way to find out if it ever had a MAG cylinder with it? SN is 263-xxxxx, Ruger's websight says it was made in 99. Mainly i'm wondering if the barrel on this one is going to be for LR bullets or MAG bullets.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure the barrels are different. Can you slug yours?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrels are the same.

The only difference between a regular & a convertible is that both cylinders are "fitted" to the frame/barrel when sold as a convertible.

Neal

EDIT: If there were a difference in barrels, don't you think that they would mark the caliber on them?
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe on the convertible models,the cylinders are marked either mag or lr..or something similar to that.
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the barrels are different. The Single Six came out in early 50's while the 22 Magnum came out in very late 50's or early 60's. Years ago i had a LR Single Six and called Ruger about putting a MAG cylinder on it, they advised that it was not an option due to the bore size being different between the two. Not much, but enough. Guess i'll have to call Ruger and see what they actually say. Was hoping to find something on line.
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger three screw Single six that I bought years ago. Up until a few years ago, I thought it was a LR. After I saw pictures of the two different cylinders, I found out that mine is a 22 WMR. It shoots Remington thunderbolts tighter than WMR, just an inch lower at 25 yards. It does swell the LR cases when shot.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeff~

If yours was made in '99, you're good to go.. When the Single-Six first came out, it had a .222 bore.. When Ruger introduced the .22 Mag Convertible they changed ALL Single-Sixes to .224 bores.. People with older Single Sixes should check with Ruger for serial number dates..