In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which colt is better official or positive?

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Official police or police positive?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better for what?
    The Official Police is a bigger stouter gun on the ".41 frame."
    The Police Positive Special is smaller and lighter.

They are the same action design, apart from size.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thankyou. Internally are they designed the same, aside from the frame size.?
  • Options
    Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong, but aren't the Police Positive models the ones with the most recent production? I personally think the 4th (last) version of the Police Positive with the barrel shroud is the most natural feeling, well balanced handgun ever made by Colt. Extremely accurate and beautifully finished too.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I've not had/held a Police Positive, but I recall an Official Police of mid 50's mfg. It had some sort of plastic grip and a trigger pull that required single action for the bullets to go anywhere near the target. How it was supposed to be the FBIs gun of choice was way beyond me.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better is a term that begs clarification. Better for what or in what way? I have a third model police positive that is a very gracile little revolver. It is almost elegant in its refinement the way Colt SSAs are more refined that Rugers. That said I would rather shoot my GP-100, its mass helps with the recoil.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Any vintage Colt DA is a righteous gun. I've had the Police Positives in their 2-inch configurations (aka the Detective Special), which I liked, and one of my current can-blasters is a 1950's vintage Official Police. The DA pull on Colts isn't quite that of a Smith, but an OP can be used to hammer lug nuts loose and crank up the bumper jack, and it will still come up smiling.

I'm not so sure about the last DA's that Colt made. I was with a guy who was fondling a new Diamondback in a shop once, and he accidentally unscrewed the barrel. The end was drawing near, LOL.