In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No 6 folding sight

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if the number 6 sight had some form of spring that would keep either sight up or did it just depend on the screw to be tight enough to keep which ever sight you wanted up.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a Lyman #6 folding IIRC there is a flat leaf spring. I made a replacement one from a centrifugal mercury clutch spring off a Hiller helicopter 12 E.

added It was long time ago, I don't remember for sure if my Lyman had two blades or just one folding one. But the spring did brake and I made a replacement from the spring I describe. I also kept several more of those spring because thin good spring is hard to find.

Part 3 My dad was a watchmaker besides an aviation mechanic. He had literally 1000's of watch and clock springs. Lyman had no parts available for the sight. The spring is around 1/4 to 3/8" wide and ")" shaped. It lays in the grove recess machined into the center of the sight, under the leaf, dome up.

I think I still have 6 or so of the donor springs. Have never needed one since the 70's when I scored them.

Update I looked where the spring(s) should have been. All my stuff got rearranged while I was trying to die. I still have a few places to look. I did come across a broken 3 fingered spring from a 1911. The wide finger looks about the right width but it will need thinned in cross section to work correctly.

My sight snapped in locked up or down, then the spring broke and it just flopped about until I made a new spring. I still don't remember if it had a fixed blade plus the folder but I remembered what rifle it was on H&R 158 22 Hornet about 1977-78.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie, most of the experts really try to help when we ask for it and then then there are the ones like you. Maybe I could use a muffler bearing off a 49 Chev.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie, sorry about the remark. Not all of your message was included with your first message.
    The #6 has one flat blade and one butterfly and they both fold down but they do not seem to have anything to hold them in place
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got message from Lyman service. The number 6 lyman did not have a spring, you adjust it with the screw and that is it.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice they got back to you. I guess my sight had only a folding blade. Still haven't the rest of that Hiller flat spring stock yet.