In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thomposn Center Contender Question.

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Do the 10" barrels, and the super 14 barrels run on the same frame?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they do...just different forends.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Ah, thanks so much.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Randy, you can also install the carbine length barrels on the Contender frame. With the addition of a butt stock it converts into a nice little rifle. My 25-35 carbine with a 4X Burris weighs a shade over five pounds. My 45-70 goes two pounds more. They are addictive, I have nine barrels. There are over 100 barrels for sale on the auction side and you don't need an FFL to buy them. Yer fren, Eddie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great to see ya post Eddie!![:)] Yeah, a buddy's dad had one when we were kids('77-'78-'79), and I've wanted one ever since. I was just today looking over on the auction at them. Good to know about the longer barrels, and shoulder stock.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    Randy, you can also install the carbine length barrels on the Contender frame. With the addition of a butt stock it converts into a nice little rifle. My 25-35 carbine with a 4X Burris weighs a shade over five pounds. My 45-70 goes two pounds more. They are addictive, I have nine barrels. There are over 100 barrels for sale on the auction side and you don't need an FFL to buy them. Yer fren, Eddie

Glad to see someone else likes the 25-35 WCF. I had a barrel made (by MGM) and although I have some wildcats and other modern calibers known for accuracy this cartridge stands side by side with them. Using 75 grain AMax the thing does "3 shots, 1 hole" all day long. And it's nice & easy to shoot, doesn't use much powder and brass is easily available or made from 30-30.

The T/C single shot rifles do their best, it seems to me, in these midcaliber (say, 24 to 28 maybe) sizes that aren't exactly barnburners on velocity. I like my 16" 45-70 too, but you definitely know you're sending a few hundred grains of lead downrange.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 7mmTCU in carbine length for deer in PA.