In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning A5 friction rings

gordo5gordo5 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I recently purchased a 1987 japan made 12 ga magnum,it came with 2 friction rings,1 bronze disc.I've been looking at several manuals some use 3 rings and 2 bronze rings for magnum loads.The way it was told to me 1 ring at end of spring then the bronze ring for light loads,Wondering if Ineed to purchase 1 more bronze ring and 1 more friction ring? If that made sense.Any info would be appreciated Thanx,Gordon

Comments

• Options
    gordo5gordo5 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need some help setting up the friction rings on an 30's vintage 16 gage A5 with a Weaver compensator and choke tubes. It has a white metal ring about 1/8 inch thick with a bevel, a brass ring with a bevel with a steel spring around it and the main recoil spring. I read information on a site related to the Remington model 11's which indicated that with a Cutts compensator the white metal ring and spring went on first and then the brass friction ring with the bevel toward the muzzle.

It seems to me that was the way I always had it set in the past and it worked fine with factory 7 1/2 or 8 loads I shot a few clays with. How would I set it for heavier hunting loads? For example, a load for turkey.

Thanks, Hlouie
  • Options
    Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Browning manual is available on line. For light loads it shows a steel ring, flat side down against the recoil spring, then a brass ring in the tapered cut and then the barrel. For heavy loads an additional steel ring is added with the tapered side against the previously installed brass ring followed by another steel ring with the flat side against the previous steel ring and finally a second brass ring which mates with the barrel. Basically steel-brass- steel-steel- brass. Hope this helps.
    Jim
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    for a 2 3/4" a-5 it goes like this
    light loads= steel ring on the mag tube 1st, then spring, then bronze
    hvy. loads= spring on 1st, then steel ring (flat side against spring) then the bronze pcs.
    only the 3" mag. a-5's use the 2 bronze pcs. set up