In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Easy way to remove primer 50cal casing --

oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Have never reloaded so don't have proper tools. Is there a simple way to remove the primers easily from some old 50cal military brass casings? Not going to load them after, but will be using them to make some brass projects and didn't want to mess them up. Thanks. --- Tried something similar. Used a nail punch with nut in large vise. It just dented the primer and broke the punch.---
These have been fired and are old blanks so necks vary as to how far they are opened. Like their looks but really would like to find and easy way to remove the spent primers.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having done similar projects myself, the easiest way is to make a punch. A valve out of an big engine works nicely. Use a grinder to reduce the stem area to a punch about 3/4" long by 3/32" O.D. . A big nut the case can set on that has a hole large enough for the spent primer. Place nut, case and punch about a foot from a car on the concrete garage floor. Slip a 2"x4" 8' stud on edge under the car some and over top the punch. Press down on the free end of the stud.

My dad used this technique to de-prime live cases. Note a 50 cal primer is at least a 38 S&W in power. Second note The valve could have come from Pratt and Whitney R-985. Choose intake valves if you can, sodium filled exhaust valves could get exciting.

Added The handle on my screen door is a 50 cal. blank with 2 5.56 to space it from the door. I keep a pencil in the blank and a pad of post it notes (perforated via 22 LR) on a finish nail right beside it on the trim.

Hydraulic method will not work well on crimp blanks.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might try Hydraulics. With the case resting on a flat area with a hole drilled for the primer to fall thru, fill the shell casing with lite oil or water. Then with a tite fitting wood dowel inserted about half down into the shell's neck, hit the dowel hard and fast with a hammer.
    Compresses the water to high pressure and forces out the primer.

Here's a fancy set up..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TYu3SU6UMI
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made the mistake about 20 + years ago, I bought two surplus 50 cal rounds for the boys to have. I pulled the bullets dumped the powder . 1st case I used a punch thru the neck of the case . I had the case on a flat table what the heck its just a primer big mistake , well after the ringing in my ears stopped and my fingers were all accounted for and not too burned up . I realized I had screwed up. [:I] not to mention scared the crap out of me
    second one was more planned and no harm was inflected
    some sound advice wish I had ask some one back then
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    If you think the primers are live, just spray a little 3 in 1 oil in there and let it sit an hour or so. That should kill it.

Then just take a small diameter steel rod and hammer, resting it on a surface where the primer can fall through, smack it a time or two to drive the primer out.