In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3 position safety

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
When did Winchester introduce the 3 position safety? Were they the first ones to do this?

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1903 Springfield has a three position safety. That dates to at least 1903.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Springfield copied System Mauser.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    My dad had an 1871 Mauser that had a three position safety- don't know if there were others prior to that.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first forward-rearward 3 position safety was the Winchester model 70. It a strong departure from the almost pure Mauser copy Model 54 which was a 3 postion safety as well.

The Mauser three position safety did not work well with scopes and had to be modified or the the scope raised to almost unusable levels. The F-R 3 pos. safety was truly a breakthrough for a safety that gave three positions and in the third position actually locked the firing pin. Many side safetys now have three positions but only two types today lock the firing pin and the bolt, Winchester and Ruger.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    The F-R 3 pos. safety was truly a breakthrough for a safety that gave three positions and in the third position actually locked the firing pin.

The firing pin if held back by the safety in both of the safe positions- the two positions determining whether the bolt was locked of not.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    The F-R 3 pos. safety was truly a breakthrough for a safety that gave three positions and in the third position actually locked the firing pin.

The firing pin is(corrected) held back by the safety in both of the safe positions- the two positions determining whether the bolt was locked of not.

Thus my last statement, " Many side safetys now have three positions but only two types today lock the firing pin and the bolt, Winchester and Ruger."

Now that I think of though, I don't think Ruger locks the firing pin in the second position. But, it's been a long time since I had a Ruger in my possesion.