In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommend Someone to Paint a Stock

famous wolffamous wolf Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Can you guys recommend someone to paint a synethic stock? I have a Bell and Carlson and a McMillan, both of which I want painted in a sold color (no camo or webbing). I know some folks do it themselves witj Krylon, but that is not what I am looking for. I want a professional job...and I know I can't do it right. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try a automotive body shop
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Yep. Local car painter. Actually, even a home body shop guy can do a good job.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A painter, is only as good as the canvas he works on. As long as they know what material thay are applying the finish to, so it can be properly prepared, you will have no problems.

You never said which color you wish to paint. There are several good synthetic stock makers, and rifle builders out there who have the know, as well as good auto body shops.

That said, have you given Bell & Carlson, and/or McMillan a call, to see what they can do for you?

Best
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could have it dipped, one solid color, may last longer than paint.
    the dip is just a film they lay on the liquid you may contact one of these places, I don't see why they couldn't do a solid color.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I never have figured out how they do it with the vat of paint, dip the stock in it and pull it out and the paint applies in a camo pattern.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I never have figured out how they do it with the vat of paint, dip the stock in it and pull it out and the paint applies in a camo pattern.

The camo pattern, is in the form of a dry translucent sheet. It floats on top of the water. The stock is prepped before dipping into the water tank, a sheet of the pattern you want is laid on top of the water, then the stock is dipped down thru the sheet of pattern, and back out of the water, and hung to dry...with the pattern you selected bonded to it.

Best
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done two rifles with DuraCoat and they have worked out very well. Even the paint on the muzzle brakes has held up - >300 Whby Mag and .338 Win Mag. I'm looking forward to the "One-Can" rattle can version they are debuting at the ShotShow. Just one precaution - Follow the directions to the letter!! The work surface has to be clean clean clean.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran into a guy, Alex Kenoyer, at yesterday's gun show in Colorado Springs who might be able to help you. Alex Kenoyer of Innovative Design in Colorado Springs applies exotic paint and hydrographics finishes to gun stocks. He had some of his work on display and it was quite nice. Alex can be reached via email at ad.kenoyer@innovativedesigncolorado.com or by phone at 719-694-8765. His website is: www.innovativedesigncolorado.com. Hope this helps. Good luck.