In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 52 experts

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've already spoken to Bert about this, he could not definately answer, it's a bit out of his realm of expertise.
I just got an early pre A 52 in, serial #3725, made in 1924. This rifle is beautiful, looks new, shinny stock and a sort of matte blue finish. The rifle has not been buffed or refinished, all the stampings are very crisp.
Has anyone seen this finish on a 52 befor?
I'll have pictures in a day or two.
Thanks for looking.
W.D.
IMGP8690.JPG
IMGP8711.JPG
IMGP8712.JPG
IMGP8727.JPG
IMGP8741.JPG
IMGP8710.JPG

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    W.D.,

It would be a good thing to see pictures. However, back in that date in time, unless it was a military firearm where phosphate(parkerized) finishes sometimes were applied, I do not believe you would see a "matte" finish. Keep in mind, most good restoration houses, can refresh the stamps too.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Best

EDIT 1

Judging from the proof mark, on the front of the reciever ring, this is an almost certain refinish, in my eyes.

Best

EDIT 2

W.D.,

I am not saying that is not a beautiful rifle, but that circle around the transposes W-P, should be full and crisp. That one on your rifle is faded on one end, indicating polishing. I do agree that the rest of the markings look nice. Never know...I might be one of the bidders...does the magazine hold more than 7? That could be an Assault Weapon here in NY, ya know[}:)][}:)][}:)][:D]

Best
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i have a 1926 and a 1929 both are dull blue ,mind they are not new,,glare is bad for target shooting
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the one had a PRE A with what was called the SLOW lock time bolt and finger-groove stock. It most definately was NOT parkerized. but also was not high polish like an early S&W model 27 0r colt Python.More like a rust blue sort of like older SXS shotguns or WW I vintage German military pistols

EDIT I believe it has been refinished both metal and wood. But still a great rifle and scope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tim,
    After reading what everyone said, I looked at the barrel markings again. Looks original to me, doesn't look like it's been buffed.
    Opinions please.
    W.D.
    IMGP8695.JPG
    Check out the magazine.
    IMGP8724.JPG
  • Options
    ThreeDubsThreeDubs Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzle crown is non-factory.
    Magazine is after-market - a good product made by Wisner's, but it isn't original to that gun.
    I think some of the B bull gun receivers had a matte finish, but not this early.

Where is the barrel proof mark? It was around SN 5000 that the scope mounts on the barrel became standard so prior to that the barrel proof mark was on top, aligned with the one on the receiver. After that, the proofs were on the left side of the barrel and receiver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Serial number is 3725.
    Thanks for all the help, I didn't want to list it as being original if it isn't. Nice gun, but will adjust the starting price accordingly.
    Thank you one and all.
    W.D.
    P.S.
    5 round magazine.[;)]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a first year 52 and it does not look like that. Not the high polish of the later 52's but yours looks to me like it has been bead blasted with something. Walnut hulls? That would explain why it does not look buffed. I am definately not an expert but that is my opiion.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As ThreeDubs stated the crown is not factory which should be flush. That means the barrel was removed from the receiver, placed in a lathe and the counterbore cut. I just sold a 52 (1923) and the rust blue finish was similar to your's. Also there should be a 2 digit number on the underside of the barrel that would be the year it was made
  • Options
    44mutley44mutley Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    have the same dull finish on my bull barrel 52 and all the markings are clear and nice
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    I've owned several pre 'a' 52's and none had that kind of finish, rust blued but not that dull. the original sight is long gone and the receiver has been drilled and taped for the existing sight base.