In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 scope fit Question

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello all,
I have a 700 bdl Long action and am about to scope it, I have a set of leupold reversable front bases and a set of leupold medium rings.
I want to purchase a leupold vx-II 3-9 x 50mm scope but before i do I want to make sure i dont have to go with a higher set of rings than medium because of the decreased cheek weld with the stock. Does the 50mm objective fit with this mout combination i have? do i have to go with a higher ring? Thanks all.

nysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most medium rings will accomodate up to 42-44mm scopes . Anything above 44mm I would say is going to require a high ring.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deerhunter go to the Leupold website, they have a ring / base / and scope calculator if you will that will answer all of your questions, you plug in the gun the scope and it tells you what bases and rings are compatable for your application.
    In my experience your scope with the 50mm on it will be close. I have a 3-9x40 on low rings with .125" between barrel and scope, I have a 3-9x50 on a set of medium rings ( I think ) and they are the same .125" clearance between the objective and the barrel. I will double check my rings and make sure they are med. instead of high, but do check your self on the Leupold website.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just checked the Leupold site and it says to use a set of high rings.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stick to nothing higher than medium rings as you had planned. If you want the 50mm for more light, YOu might consider saving a bit longer for the VX-III 2.5x-8x which Leupold says will transmit 96-98% of the light entering the scope.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my scopes as close to the action as possible. Try setting the scope in those rings you have first. As long as the bell of the scope doesn't hit the barrel, it is plenty high enough.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 700 long action, and I had a 4.5-14x50 on it, and it definitely needed a set of high rings. I had a set of medium rings, and it wasn't even close. The bell will hit the barrel. You could try using one of them devices that raises the comb on the stock. I don't know if they work or not. Never tried one, but I can't see why they wouldn't work just fine.