In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting FFL

44vernon44vernon Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
Sorry guys, Im going to ask.Im sure you've been ask thousands of times.I want to get my FFL what is the best way to go about it? I hear you want to do it right the first time.Thanks Vernon

Comments

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you want an FFL? Are you actually planning on going into the business of selling guns? It is illegal to get an FFL so that you can buy cheap guns. With that said, go to the ATF website Forms section, you need form 7. You will need to show proof to the ATF that your property is properly zoned for a firearm business, you will need to get fingerprinted, and have an interview done with the ATF before you can get your license.
    Good Luck

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mooseyard is absolutely correct.

But, if you have a good faith plan to go into the firearms business, there is no reason why you can't. However, "getting an FFL" is just one small step in the process. Even before you apply for an FFL, you will need to go through the same steps that any other businessperson must follow when establishing a new business. Depending upon your city/county/state, you will need to do some/all of the following: obtain a premises, obtain zoning or documentation that zoning is not needed, obtain a federal tax #, obtain a state tax #, obtain a merchants license, & obtain insurance. I believe that BATFE now requires dealers to have a safe.

Don't waste your money buying an FFL "kit"; all they do is tell you the information I gave in the previous paragraph. You will have to find out everything yourself by contacting your state & local government offices.

Neal
  • Options
    44vernon44vernon Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help guys!
    I want to open my own business someday,There is getting to be less and less guncranks around here.I was in a local store last year and
    there was a man who bought a rifle and scope. He wanted to get it
    mounted and boresighted. The guy working told him where to take it,
    it was an hour and a half away! I do a little tinkering and lots of handloading now. It just seems to be the right step. If i get the enjoyment out of building rifles tnat I get from handloading its got to be great! Its not just the shops here, they are really good people
    Time seems to be a big factor. Thanks Vernon
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually Vernon, money is the big factor.

Today, you have as much chance of earning a living in the firearms business as you would have as an NFL player. A few well established gun dealers, especially those with a knowledgeable gunsmith, will survive, but these are the rare exception. The high cost of inventory, rent, insurance, shipping, & salaries is largely offset by low turnover, low margin, & competition from Big Box Stores.

If you just want a business that involves guns & allows you to earn a little extra on the side, fine, but be sure that you have a good regular job first.

Neal
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    An FFL is more of a liability than an asset. You say you want to own your own business someday. That is great! however, you have to have your "shop" when you apply for your FFL. As someone said, they come and see your place of business and make sure you qualify. I would bet that your question goes beyond the scope of what some are willing to answer on this site. Do some legwork first.
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    44vernon -

Feel free to email me and I'll send you my phone number. You can call and we'll discuss any questions you have about getting an FFL.

deer-running.gif