In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A good inexpensive 9mm

sdamossdamos Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to spend around $200 on a 9mm for home defense. I was told the Kel Tec P-11 is a good choice, but I was reading reviews and discovered that is has no safety? I know the trigger serves as the safety since it is hard to pull, but what if the gun is dropped?

Other than a revolver, are there any other recommendations around $200 ? I once research Jennings and I thought I read that those guns cannot go off by accident. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shannon

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    A used Star BM can be had for arround $160. You might get lucky and find a used EAA witness, Or ruger P series for that. All are top quality guns, out of the three, I prefer the witness.

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget the Jennings. . .those are junk.

You can occasionally find a used Police-trade in Smith for that price or close to it. Smith isn't renowned for its autos, but these guns are strong, reliable, safe, and Smith will stand behind them if there is ever a problem (which there probably won't be).

Here's one for $240
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36454993

Here's another that isn't too shabby looking:
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36450870
  • Options
    sdamossdamos Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For home defense what caliber should I even go with? I suppose it does not have to be 9mm. I just was looking for reliabe, inexpensive ammo so I can take it out shooting and get more comfortable with the gun.

Thanks
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sdamos
    For home defense what caliber should I even go with? I suppose it does not have to be 9mm. I just was looking for reliabe, inexpensive ammo so I can take it out shooting and get more comfortable with the gun.

Thanks

Well, I think some would disagree with me, but I think 9mm is a very good choice for that. You can do 95% of your practice and plinking with cheap, readily available 9mm, then get expensive specialty 9mm+P hollowpoint ammo for occasional practice defense use.

Other reasonable calibers would be .45 ACP, .40S&W, and .357/.38+P (though you said you didnt want a wheelgun for some reason). I don't think 357 SIG really gives you much of an advantage over 40, particularly indoors and ammo is going to cost more. In any case, ammo for ALL of those is going to cost more than 9mm, with the 38s probably being the closest in price.

I completely agree with Richbug, by the way. You can probably snag a used all steel 9mm EAA Witness in the range of $250. Those are fantastic guns for the money. . .double-action, take CZ mags, ergonomic, hold 15+1 rounds, and very reliable.

Here are a few other options for you to consider:

Ruger $230, *stainless*
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36721063

Used Star, $200 (very 1911-like);
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36554935

Also, this isn't very pretty, but for home defense and plinking, this 9mm carbine could make a very good choice as well:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36600407
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are relatively new to handgunning, you may want to consider a revolver in 38+P/357mag. Too many things that may go wrong (even 1 is too many) to consider if you are counting on a pistol for self defense.

With a revolver, if it doesn't fire, another pull on the trigger takes care of the problem. With a semiauto, you need to be able to determine the problem and clear it during a very emotional moment.

I would suggest increasing your scope to include considering a revolver.

Just my opinion of course.

Good luck.

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    If you are relatively new to handgunning, you may want to consider a revolver in 38+P/357mag. Too many things that may go wrong (even 1 is too many) to consider if you are counting on a pistol for self defense.

With a revolver, if it doesn't fire, another pull on the trigger takes care of the problem. With a semiauto, you need to be able to determine the problem and clear it during a very emotional moment.

I would suggest increasing your scope to include considering a revolver.

Just my opinion of course.

Good luck.

NRA Life Member

I have to say I totally agree with this. Revolvers are the most dependable handguns you can get. They very nearly always work even when put away in a night stand drawer and left untouched for years. A .357Mag. revolver is an excellent choice because you can load it with cheap .38Spl. for plinking or good .357Mag. hollow points for home defense.
  • Options
    tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fail to understand why one would be concerned if a Kel Tec P11 was accidentally dropped. They are tested for that very occurrence.
    The P11 is an excellent choice for home and carry but I doubt that one be had for much less than $250.
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    When talking about a handgun, the words "good" and inexpensive" can't
    not be used in the same sentence. Most inexpensive handguns are junk.
    Put a few bucks to it and get a used Sig. I saw used Sig 226 for around 350.
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BT99
    When talking about a handgun, the words "good" and inexpensive" can't
    not be used in the same sentence. Most inexpensive handguns are junk.
    Put a few bucks to it and get a used Sig. I saw used Sig 226 for around 350.

bull

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The P-11 Kel-tec is double action only. The way they are made, there is no way it is going off when dropped. I have carried a 40 S&W Kel-tec daily for several years without problems.